It all starts when a routine B-rank mission for Team 8 goes terribly wrong. Sarada is kidnapped by bandits who torture her and try to take her eyes. The bandits plans are ruined when a rescue team arrives to help Sarada. Unable to take Sarada's eyes for himself, the lead bandit decides to ruin them in anger: "If I can't have them, no one can" were his words to Sarada.
So, with that, Sarada is left permanently blinded.
Jack O'Lantern provides examples of:
- Career-Ending Injury: Sarada is no longer able to be a ninja due to her blindness, so she retires into civilian life.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Sarada had her hands broken finger-by-finger, as well as a few of her ribs. She had her eyes carved but she doesn't actually remember that part.
- Disabled in the Adaptation: At age 14, Sarada has her eyes permanently damaged on a mission. She ends up blinded as a result of her injuries.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Sarada hates being pitied for what happened to her. She also tries to downplay the torture by insisting it was "short" - only a few hours long - compared to other shinobi's experiences.
- Eye Scream: Sarada gets her eyes damaged in a manner that is likened to carving a pumpkin.
- Sleepy Depressive: After being blinded, Sarada takes to sleeping because at least she can still see in her sleep. This is also why she dislikes sleeping pills. When she takes medicine, she doesn't drean.
- Slumber Party: In chapter 4, Boruto sleeps over at Sarada's.
- Technologically Blind Elders: Sasuke isn't even middle-aged, yet he's clueless about newer technology like smartphones
- Therapy Is for the Weak: Sarada rejects going to therapy until her father mentions that he goes to therapy himself.