One day, Pearl hears a Street Musician on the street. Her music is like nothing she's ever heard before. Pearl talks to the musician and learns her name is "Marina". Within a few days, Pearl and Marina begin working on music together.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Accent Interest: Marina has an unusual accent compared to Inklings. Pearl's never heard it before, but she finds it incredibly attractive.
- Accidental Misnaming: Pearl's dad keeps on calling Marina other names, like "Sabrina" and "Mariah".
- Alternate Universe Fic: The story is tagged as this, though it hasn't had any AU elements yet.
- Arc Words: "I've got your back", or some variation of this, is mentioned frequently throughout the story.
- Dark Fic: The story gives both Marina and Pearl Dark And Troubled Pasts. It also covers more mature topics than the fluffy source.
- Disabled in the Adaptation: Pearl has a scarred back which occasionally has pain flair-ups.
- Eyes Always Averted: At the start of their relationship, Marina was so shy that she wouldn't look Pearl in the eyes.
- Fictional Counterpart: The fic references these a lot. Examples include Abercrombie and Fish, Hot Tropic, and The Big Thang Theory.
- Former Teen Rebel: Pearl is still rebellious, however as a teen she went through a grunge fashion stage. When asked, she calls it a "experimental" age.
- Hurt/Comfort Fic: Early in the first arc, Marina cuts herself badly. She refuses to go to the hospital, so her friend Pearl lets her move in with her so that she can help Marina heal.
- Oh My Gods!: "Cod" is used as an equivalent to "god".
- Never Learned to Read: Marina can read in her native language, but she can't read Squidish.
- Slash Fic: Pearl finds herself smitten by Marina from the start of their friendship.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Pearl's nickname for Marina is spelled "Reena" instead of its canonical "Rina".
- Spock Speak: Marina occasionally lapses into this, especially with slang, because Squiddish is her second language. For example she says that Pearl looks like "the freshest of shells" (referencing how Pearl calls things "shella fresh").
- Totally Radical: Pearl's father incorrectly uses slang.
- Unnamed Parent: Pearl's parents aren't given names.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Justified with Marina being an Octoling. She looks and sounds different than anyone Pearl has ever seen before, but Pearl doesn't readily identify her as an Octoling. This is because Octolings are all-but unknown amongst Inklings due to a century of segregation.