In the shadows, between the cracks of society, lives a world humanity can only dimly imagine. A world of magic and curses. Where wars have been fought and the very course of civilization is dictation. In this world, magicians conjure rituals behind closed doors, restless spirits roam graveyards, supernatural wolves howl at the moon, and monsters may stalk you in the dead of night.
This is a world that Steven Universe barely knows. Born as a Dhampyr, between his full blooded vampire mother and his human father, Steven is still trying to figure out his place in the world. But even with the firm guidance of his mother, Steven's future, even to the most talented of Seers, remains largely unknown...
Set in an AU within the How I Wonder What You Are multiverse, Steven's mother a vampire incarnation of Blue Diamond and the Crystal Gems other supernatural creatures. Can be read on Archive of Our Own and Fanfiction.net
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change:
- Blue Pearl here is referred to as "Iris", as she is a vampire and not "a pearl" like in-canon.
- "Blue Diamond" is simply named "Blue" or "the Blue Lady." This makes sense, as here she is a vampire and not a sentient alien space-rock.
- Adaptation Species Change: In the canon show, characters are either Gems, Humans or a hybrid of the two in the case of Steven. Here, they are either human or a different type of supernatural monster.
- Afraid of Blood: Greg generally feels queasy whenever Blue and Steven feed on blood.
- Blood Lust: Subverted with Steven. Being half-vampire, Steven becomes sick if he goes too long without fresh blood. With that said, he does not seem to enjoy the taste, quickly dowsing the taste down with a regular human breakfast shortly after.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Steven asks his mom to spare Amethyst under the condition that she is kept under surveillance, complete with a sort of supernatural shock-collar as insurance. The whole situation is treated like a boy bringing a stray dog home and asking if he can keep it.
- Friend to All Living Things: Due to his supernatural heritage, Steven possesses a natural magnetism when it comes to animals, strays and birds following him around. This seems to be a form of vampiric hypnosis that Steven unconsciously emits, unintentionally doing this to the werewolf Amethyst.
- Fur Against Fang: Iris fighting off Amethyst in Chapter 1.
- Has Two Mommies: Garnet is Ruby and Sapphire's daughter. Given that both Garnet and Sapphire are seers and Ruby knows magic, Homosexual Reproduction was probably involved.
- Interspecies Romance: Between Greg (a human) and Blue (a vampire).
- Signature Scent: Vampires are referred to as smelling like ice and iron on more than one occasion.
- Spared by the Adaptation:
- In comparison to Faded Blue at least. Because she is a vampire and not a Gem in this story, Blue Diamond (here named "Blue") did not have to give up her physical form to give birth to Steven and thus is alive (or undead, given the circumstances) and well.
- Played straight in the case of Rose in comparison to the original animated series for the same reasons.