Frankie goes on a date with a guy she met at a store. Mac doesn't trust the man, who Frankie only agreed to go on a date with because he wouldn't take "no" for an answer, but Frankie goes on a date with him anyway. A few hours later, Mac's worries turn out to be accurate. Frankie calls the house, revealing that her date had assaulted her and ran off.
The following day, Frankie refuses to leave her room. Mac doesn't understand what's going on and neither does Bloo. Bloo thinks that Frankie is contagious, but Mac realizes that isn't what's wrong with her. A few days later, Mac spots Frankie alone and tries to talk to her but she snaps at him and just tells her to leave her alone. A few hours later, Frankie apologizes and gives Mac a letter to give to his mother. Frankie's decided to explain what happened to her to Mac, but it's hard to explain it to a kid.
I Spoke as a Child provides examples of:
- Dark Fic: Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends is a tame and perfectly fluffy cartoon. This fanfic is about a grim topic and is completely serious in its portrayal, focusing mostly on the aftermath and how it affects the characters.
- Date Rape: The plot is driven by this occurring to Frankie one night.
- Evil-Detecting Baby: Well, child but the basic principle applies as Mac, who is a kid, doesn't trust Frankie's date and his worries prove spot on.
- In Medias Res: The story begins a few days after the assault. It switches between flashback sequences and "present day".
- Innocence Lost: Mac has to deal with both the knowledge of what rape is and that it happened to his honorary big sister.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Frankie is usually bubbly, sarcastic, and nice. After the assault, she becomes more withdrawn and apathetic. Mac notices but doesn't understand, however his prodding just leads Frankie to have a very out-of-character profanity-laden outburst about how life can be cruel.
- Precision F-Strike: Frankie delivers one in "Like I give a damn about what [Bloo] does". Mac had never heard her curse until then. After Mac asks her if she's okay and doesn't budge until she gives him an answer, Frankie snaps and curses him out.
- The Talk: Mac's mother is forced to give him The Talk with encouragement from Frankie, so that Frankie can explain what happened to him.