A My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfiction written by Rated Ponystar.
During her time at Flight Camp as a filly, a pegasus named Fluttershy meets a filly named Rainbow Dash after accidentally being knocked off a cloud by her. The two quickly become friends, both confining in each other their dreams (Fluttershy to go to the ground below and Rainbow Dash to join the Wonderbolts), and the fact that they're both outcasts in Flight School. Eventually, summer comes to an end and the two are forced to go their separate ways, but promise to meet again.
Years later, the two are reunited in a town called Ponyville, where they meet new friends called Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity, and later, Twilight Sparkle. Throughout their adventures in Ponyville, Fluttershy comes to realize that she's in love with Rainbow Dash.
The two real questions are can Fluttershy work up the nerve to tell her, and will Rainbow Dash reciprocate them?
The story can be found here.
This story provides examples of:
- Aborted Declaration of Love: During the restaurant scene in 'How We Break', Fluttershy told Rainbow Dash the speech she had been practicing for weeks about her feelings for her, but at the end of it, she backpedals and asks Rainbow to accompany her to the Butterfly Migration, which Rainbow awkwardly agrees to.
- Book-Ends: At the beginning of the 'Wonderbolt Letter" arc, Fluttershy has a nightmare that Rainbow Dash has joined the Wonderbolts but doesn't remember her anymore. At the conclusion, she has a dream where she encounters Rainbow Dash who recognizes her and invites her to join her teammates for dinner.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: Pinkie Pie and Rarity have this moment when Pinkie says that the meal Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are having is rutabaga and mushroom salad, the latter of which makes Fluttersh queasy.
- Erotic Dream: At the beginning of "How We Planned", Fluttershy had one where she found Rainbow Dash in her bed who passionately kissed. It ended up becoming a Crashing Dream when it turned out she was kissing Angel Bunny in reality.
- Foreshadowing: The interaction between Rainbow Dash and Applejack in the chapter "How We Planned" gives subtle hints that Rainbow Dash was in love with Applejack.
- I Never Said It Was Poison: When Pinkie Pie commented on her witnessing Rarity eying Big Mac, Rarity defensively cried she didn't stare at his backside, but Pinkie didn't say she was looking there.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Fluttershy was willing to let Rainbow Dash go so she could be with Applejack. Fortunately, she got another chance with Rainbow Dash after Applejack revealed she wasn't into mares.
- Immediate Sequel: Many of the chapters occur after actual episodes:
- "How We Hurt" followed "Sonic Rainboom".
- "How We Comfort" took place after "The Best Night Ever".
- "How We Planned" picked up after "May The Best Pet Win".
- "How We Suffered" occurred during and after the events of "Hearts and Hooves Day".
- "How We Kissed and "How We Loved" came after "A Canterlot Wedding".
- Love Epiphany: With the help of Princess Luna Rainbow Dash realizes she loves Fluttershy in the final chapter.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently, the last time Pinkie Pie 'helped' Rarity at Carousel Boutique, it resulted in Rarity chasing her through Ponyville with a pair of scissors in her mouth and a mad look in her eyes. It apparently took ten ponies just to hold her down.
- Potty Failure: It seems that Rainbow Dash didn't stop wetting the bed until she was seven.
- According to Applejack, her dog, Winnona used to do this on Big Mac's bed when she was a puppy.
- Shipper on Deck: Pinkie Pie and Rarity fulfill this trope after Fluttershy reveals to them how she feels about Rainbow Dash.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Rainbow gives one to Fluttershy instantly after she says she loves her, cutting her off from saying more.
- Tempting Fate: During the 'Wonderbolt Letter' arc, Twilight says that 'Things can't get any worse', which causes Pinkie to freak out as say those words usually causes things to get worse. Turns out she's Properly Paranoid when they hear that Fluttershy ran away to the Everfree Forest.
- Their First Time: Upon declaring their feelings for one another, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy engage in sex for the first time for either of them.
- They Do: The story ends with Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash entering a Relationship Upgrade.
- Time Skip: One occurred between Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash parting ways after Flight Camp and Fluttershy coming to Ponyville.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: When Fluttershy accidentally eats mushrooms and hurls on a poor waiter, the only words we see are BBBLAAAAH!!! and EEWWWWWW!.
- What the Hell, Hero?: This is Rainbow Dash's reaction when she finds out that Fluttershy sabotaged her chances of joining the Wonderbolts early.