Higher Flier is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic by Admiral-Tigerclaw, starring Dainty Dish, a Pegasus with rather large wings who attracts the attention—and rivalry—of Rainbow Dash.
A sequel is in the works, Higher Flier: Mach Two, that takes place roughly six months after the last story. On Hearth's Warming Morning, Rainbow Dash saves a falling, burning Pegasus stallion named Mikoyan Ivanovich Gustaav the Thirty-First, weather pony from Stalliongrad, and he needs Rainbow Dash's help in catching Dainty, whom he has become infatuated with. Based on the Mig-31, which was developed specifically to intercept the SR-71, this match could either be made in heaven, or go down in flames as Mikoyan tries to persue his love.
Can be found here.
This fanfic series contains the following tropes:
- Badass Adorable: Dainty Dish has a cuteness rating to rival Fluttershy and she can fly higher and faster than anything else in Equestria. She makes Dash look like Tank in comparison.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Mikoyan. Crashes into a snowdrift in the middle of a blizzard that would be legendary even on earth, and he sees it as just a brisk rush. Any scene that he is in runs a cholesterol risk.
- Expy: Dainty Dish is one for the SR-71 Blackbird. Mikoyan is one for the MIG-31.
- Funetik Aksent: Mikoyan has a thick Russ-*cough* Stalliongrad accent that makes him read like, well, a caricature.
- Incendiary Exponent: While trying to catch up to Dainty Dish (who is going at Mach 3 by the way), Mikoyan's wings catch fire. It doesn't turn out so well.
- Moe Anthropomorphism: Subverted. The author has taken painstaking care to craft Dainty Dish by taking the various statistics, abilities and mechanical quirks of the SR-71 and converting them into character traits. It's just that the result also happens to be extremely Moe as well.
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong: Word of God is that the weather ponies of Stalliongrad not only work typical weather, but also may fight off the Windigos. Also, any pony who does not impress Mikoyan is considered 'puny pony,' and those that do become 'Comrade.'
- Trademark Favorite Food: In keeping with the high burning temperature with the SR-71's fuel (JP-7), Dainty Dish is allergic to any food with simple sugars. Fortunately, nuts are low in simple sugars. But Dainty's favorite nut is the simple cashew. Her joy at recieving even a handful will melt your heart.
- Training from Hell: Dash's 'training' for Miki can be summed up in one line
- Training Montage: Referenced by name by Pinkie Pie to justify Miko's rapid increase in muscle mass. It nearly drives Twilight insane.
- Troll: Mikoyan, though he had an excellent teacher in Princess Celestia. But rather than trying to trick ponies or make them mad, he uses his skills for innocent (and often humorous) flirtation. Luna was not as amused.Sister! What manner of debauchery hast thou been implying that we partaketh in!?
- Walking Disaster Area: Dainty Dish, who manages to wreck most of the library in less than thirty seconds thanks to involuntary wing pumps during an allergy attack.