A rewriting of the main series with some twists; Izuku is a girl, Izuka, and was born with a healing Quirk.
He had always pushed it to the back of his mind that he was in the wrong - especially when it came to him. He bullied him for a reason. A reason long forgotten but it was still a damn good reason to set those small sparks across his skin - to leave his existence on the smaller boy - to mark him as his
But why had he forgotten this main detail to him?
Why had he forgotten that he was supposed to protect him A promise long forgotten that started this whole damn trend between the two of them because in reality, she was Izuka Midoriya, a female, and not Izuku Midoriya, a male.
Aside from Archive, it can be found on FF.net and select chapters on Tumblr. It also has a side story series, "Side Stories to Hidden in Plain View."
Tropes contained in Hidden in Plain View
- A Day in the Limelight: The side series was developed to showcase moments that won't make it into the main series and feature other boys, primarily Todoroki and Kirishima, as Izuka's love interest.
- Affectionate Nickname: Like in canon, "Deku" becomes one for Izuka.
- Kirishima very occasionally calls Izuka "babe."
- Anger Born of Worry: Katsuki expressing his concern for Izuka is by yelling at her.
- Berserk Button: As noted under Crazy Jealous Guy Katsuki does not like it when anyone else shows any interest in Izuka. Best shown during the Sports Festival when Neito and Shinsou both make comments about her and you get the impression that he might have actually tried killing them over it.
- Boobs of Steel: Izuka is well-endowed and physically the strongest in her class thanks to One For All.
- Bridal Carry: Todoroki carries Izuka this way during the USJ incident and Kirishima later holds her this way after the Cavalry Battle.
- Bullying a Dragon: Like in canon Neito decides to antagonize Katsuki during the cavalry battle but unlike in canon he also mocks him by saying that it would "be more pleasant" to speak with Izuka, aware that Bakugo does like her. That goes about as well as did in the source material for him.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Katsuki, not even to himself for a while.
- Character Development: Katsuki mellows around Izuka and humbles himself relatively quickly.
- Izuka is more confident and self-assured earlier than in canon, she even banters with and teases Katsuki by the USJ incident, where Izuku is still cautious around him in the manga.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Izuka and Katsuki are crushing on each other big time.
- Combat Medic: Izuka has both One For All and a healing Quirk, she can only heal herself, however. Come Chapter 11, she's able to heal others, too.
- Covert Pervert: Katsuki and Kirishima both get flustered when hearing Izuka mumble about her hero costume being fanservice-y and possibly upping the amount of skin she shows; Kirishima tells her she wouldn't look bad if she did further it.
- In a side story, Katsuki trips and falls on Izuka, landing into Marshmallow Hell in "a pair of breasts he would never admit to daydreaming about once or twice."
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Katsuki does not react well to seeing anyone express the vaguest amount of interest in Izuka. It's usually Played for Laughs in the side series, however.
- Dude Magnet: Izuka.
- Everyone Can See It: Katsuki's feelings for Izuka are jarringly apparent, not that he'll admit to it, or that Izuka notices.Kirishima: "It's kinda in your face obvious."
- First Kiss: The first side story reveals Izuka has hers with Kirishima.
- Freudian Slip: When Katsuki and Izuka see the girls in the cheerleading outfits during the Sports Festival, Izuka mentions she's glad she was able to avoid participating, Katsuki accidentally says out loud that it's a shame she isn't, as she'd be the best looking one out there.
- Gender Flip: Izuku is a girl named Izuka.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Inverted, Tomura becomes interested in Izuka due to her healing Quirk reversing the carnage he does with his own.
- Jerkass with a Heart of Gold: Katsuki.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Izuka in Junior High, she had short hair, her body wasn't as developed, and she wore the boy's uniform due to a spelling mistake.
- Love Dodecahedron: Katsuki, Kirishima, and Todoroki all have feelings for Izuka, she returns Katsuki's feelings and has expressed interest in Kirishima in the main story.
- Love Interests: Katsuki is this for Izuka in the main story, depending on the side story, it could be someone else.
- Luminescent Blush: Happens quite frequently with various characters, Izuka being the most common.
- Mistaken for Gay: While confused to be a boy in Junior High, Izuka was assumed to be gay by her classmates and Katsuki.
- Nice Guy: Kirishima, so much that readers began commenting that he worked himself to be a better love interest faster than Katsuki.
- Oblivious to Love: Izuka, despite how obvious it is, is unaware of Katsuki's feelings for her.
- Promoted to Love Interest: Kirishima is one of Izuka's closest friends in the main story (with a developing crush on her and generous amounts of Ship Tease), however, he has several side stories in the side series dedicated to if he was Izuka's love interest.
- Similar case for Todoroki.
- Secret Keeper: Katsuki bullying Izuka stemmed from a promise the two made to each other as children, however, over time, Katsuki forgot the exact details to the deal. When he asks Izuka about it, she's rightfully upset and refuses to tell him until he remembers on his own.
- Ship Tease: Izuka has it with Katsuki, Todoroki, and Kirishima.
- Shipper on Deck: A good portion of Class 1-A ships Izuka and Katsuki. Mitsuki and Inko additionally have been shipping their children since they were little.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Three guesses to who, especially done when flustered or angered.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Izuka's main hairstyle post growing her hair out.
- Villainous Crush: Shigaraki develops one on Izuka after seeing her healing quirk undo the damage his quirk does. He becomes very fixated on the idea of having her with him because she won't "disappear" because of his quirk.
- Violently Protective Boyfriend: Katsuki."I don't want him looking or talking or even fucking smelling in her direction ever fucking again."