The fic revolves around Sealand and his uncle, Denmark, trying to survive the "Calamity" and find their way back to their family.
Gutters provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: Sealand has this when he sees a body that looks similar to Denmark
- After the End: Takes place after the "Calamity" happened.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Netherlands had to choose between Denmark and Belgium
- Dead Man Writing: Denmark writes a note to Sealand saying that he acknowledges him as a country.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Denmark dies in Norway's Lap.
- From Bad to Worse: Sealand and Denmark are getting chased by an angry mob with guns and when they finally reach Poland, the boat can only take one person.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Denmark orders Poland to take Sealand to Sweden, even though the boat could only hold one person.
- Let Them Die Happy: Even though every besides Sealand knew Denmark was dying, they kept it a secret so that they could spend their last moments with him happily.
- The Mourning After: After Denmark dies, Norway tells Sealand that even though Denmark is dead, he still loves him. "Just because someone is gone, that doesn't make you love them any less."
- Moving the Goalposts: When Netherlands gives the man Sealand, the man tells him to then shoot Denmark, causing Netherlands to say, "that wasn't part of the deal." The man replies, "it is now."
- Not So Different: Netherlands tells Denmark that, when he's about to shoot him to save Belgium, that Denmark would of done the same to save one of his family members.
- Obi-Wan Moment: Before Denmark dies, he assures Sealand that he won't die and ushers him to go to sleep.