It's been a year since a tragic accident took Applejack's parents. A year, and she still doesn't know what to do with herself. Encouraged by friends and family, she decides to spend the summer vacation at Fluttershy's beach house on Splendora Island. She's not sure if it's helping.
Then, one night, she finds something injured on the beach. No, not something. Someone.
What starts as good intentions steadily grows into something else. Whether that something else is good for Applejack is another matter entirely.
The now-completed story can be read here.
This fic provides examples of:
- Absentee Actor: Pinkie Pie and Twilight are completely absent from the story.
- Bathtub Mermaid: After finding her, Applejack places Rarity in one inside an abandoned aquarium.
- Bittersweet Ending: Applejack accepts that she and Rarity can never be together and lets her return to the ocean. Years later, she and Rarity have friendly visits, Applejack is now married with a child on the way and Rarity is in a relationship with another mermaid: Sunset Shimmer.
- Brutal Honesty: Fluttershy and Rainbow force Applejack to accept the truth that Rarity cant stay with her and thats shes unhealthily clinging onto her as a replacement for her deceased parents.
- The Cameo: Sunset Shimmer at the end as Raritys new girlfriend.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Applejacks parents which leads to her travelling to Splendora Island to visit Fluttershy for the summer.
- Fell Asleep Crying: After Rarity tells her that she doesnt return her feelings and that she cant stay with her, Applejack breaks down crying and falls asleep while Rarity hugs her and hums a comforting lullaby.
- Five Stages of Grief: Applejack goes through all five stages in Chapter 6 when Fluttershy and Rainbow confront her about her puppy love crush on Rarity, forcing her to face the fact that shell have to leave once her injurys healed.
- Florence Nightingale Effect: The main story kicks off with Applejack finding Rarity unconscious on the beach with her tail injured from an orca attack and decides to take care of her.
- Foregone Conclusion: With a title like Guppy Love, its quite clear that Applejacks crush on Rarity wasnt meant to be.
- Foreshadowing: There are quite a few hints throughout the story that Applejacks crush is more shallow than genuine love and Rarity doesn't feel the same way about her.
- Godiva Hair: Rarity, being a mermaid.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Neither Rarity or Sweetie Belle wear bras. When learning to speak English, Applejack gets flustered when Rarity curiously asks about the word breasts and the purpose of clothing. She tries not to stare as Rarity lifts and lowers her own while practicing saying the word. And fails.
- Like Brother and Sister: Rarity and Sweetie Belle are not related in this story, rather they share a sibling-like bond with each other, having travelled together their whole lives.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Sweetie Belle to Rarity.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Unlike the myths and the movie Splash, neither Rarity nor Sweetie Belles tails turn into human legs when theyre out of the water, further negating Applejacks desire for Rarity to stay.
- Roadside Surgery: To keep Rarity and Sweetie Belle from being discovered by other humans, Rarity lays on a rock near the lake the two mermaids hide in while Fluttershy performs the surgery on her injured tail.
- Slash Fic: Subverted, as it's nothing more a puppy love crush and Rarity doesn't feel the same way towards Applejack.
- Spirited Competitor: The minute shes introduced to Rarity and Sweetie Belle, Rainbow Dash is incredibly eager to have a swimming race with them.
- Wham Line: Delivered by both Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash in Chapter 6.Fluttershy: ApplejackRainbow Dash: Rarity cant replace your parents.