Guardian is a Dragon Ball fanfic written by Mr. Arkham, best known for writing The Fall of Lord Frieza. Much like the previously mentioned fic, this story is a For Want of a Nail tale but unlike it's predecessor, this tale takes the DBZ universe in much more radical new directions.
The story involves a small malfunction in Kakarot's space-pod causing him to crash down not in Grandpa Gohan's mountain, but right on Kami's Lookout. Reminded of his own coming to earth, and fearing what might happen if an aggressive alien child is set loose on the planet, Kami decides to adopt the Saiyan child as his own and starts to raise him as a successor for the title of 'Guardian of Earth.'
And from there, the universe diverges VASTLY from canon, showing what would happen to the Dragon Ball universe if Goku hadn't been around. The results are...interesting to say the least. Word of God claims that the story was inspired by Superman: Red Son and The Nail, so that should give an indication of how different this world is.
Guardian Contains Examples Of:
- Action Girl: Chi-Chi, Tanip and Inyon have proved themselves as this.
- Adaptation Expansion: The planet trade and the wider galaxy of the Dragon Ball universe are shown in greater detail here than in the manga/anime.
- Alternate Universe Reed Richards Is Awesome: Many elements of Dragon Ball lore such as Senzu Beans get put to much more use than they were in canon. Characters like Nam, Dr. Gero, Chi Chi and Raditz among others also prove themselves as far more capable than their canon counterparts.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Kakarot is the strongest warrior on Earth, and is also the Guardian of it. He also leads the Galactic Parliament after defeating Frieza and his family.
- Beam-O-War: Comes with the territory, being a Dragon ball fic.
- Big Good: Kakarot is the official Guardian of Earth in this verse. Then he starts up a galactic parliament.
- Bishōnen Line: The canon examples remain though the change is also more drastic with Cell, going from a hunched and insectoid beast straight to a more handsome and humanoid shape.
- Blood Knight: Whenever an Android absorbs the power core of another Android, their anger levels and craziness seem to rise in addition to their power as they suffer from personality clashes.
- Body Surf: Captain Ginyu. It allows him to steal King Cold's body in his pursuit of revenge against Raditz and his allies
- Broken Pedestal: Chiaotzu once believed Tien was an unstoppable badass, and that he'd be the one to save him. Years of Mind Rape and having his brain forced into a robot body left him so jaded that he hates Tien most of all.
- Can't Catch Up: Explored and treated with sympathy. Despite their best efforts and abilities like an enhanced Kaioken, the non-Saiyans can't attain the same level of strength that a Saiyan can. It's most notable when Kami gives it his all against Cell, just to be of some use to the others.
- Childhood Brain Damage: Averted for Kakarot. He never received a blow to the head to remove his Saiyan instincts, he simply has to suppress them through meditation and training.
- Deconstruction: The story takes a deeper look at the galactic politics of Frieza's rule and how many problems a power vacuum there could cause.
- Demonic Possession: King Piccolo manages to take over Kami's body when he's sufficiently enraged. Merging with Nail seems to remove the problem.
- Expy: The story really plays up the comparisons between Goku and Superman, to the point where there seems to be no ties to the Sun Wukong character of Journey to the West.
- Eye Scream: Raditz in the future timeline had his eyes gouged out.
- Foreshadowing: Broly was first referenced about halfway through the Cell Saga when a group of refugees from the South Galaxy tell Kakarot of a mysterious green entity wiping out worlds in their galaxy.
- For Want of a Nail: Without Goku around in the 'Dragon Ball' period of the series, we get things like: The Red Ribbon Army never being destroyed and becoming a global superpower, Chi Chi becoming more interested in her royal duties and training to be a warrior rather than obsessing over romance, Mister Satan never becoming a global mega-star, etcetera.
- Future Badass: Future Raditz. Even after getting his eyes gouged by the Androids, he manages to train his other senses to the point where he can still fight them efficiently.
- Gorn: The author indulges in this from time to time. Most notably, Android 13 tearing a man's tongue out and then stomping his head.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Vegeta, after getting ripped clean in half by a Piccolo-possessed Kami.
- Happily Adopted: Kakarot to Kami. He views the old man as a father.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Raditz started off as the Blood Knight he was in canon, but has come to care for his brother, comrades and even Earth.
- Pals with Jesus: The group know various gods/godly figures such as Korin and King Kai.
- Really 700 Years Old: Kami is several hundred years old.
- The members of the Cold Family are in the same boat.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Tanip is red to Gohan's blue.
- Raditz is red to Kakarot's blue.
- Shout-Out: Several
- Some of the alien races mentioned in the galactic parliament include the Ood from Doctor Who, and the Kree and Skrull races from Marvel Comics
- Some chapters are named after comic books, such as Irredeemable
- Mr. Arkham references his other well-known DBZ fanfiction during the fight between Kakarot and Frieza, stating that "in another time, another life, they could have been allies. Friends even."
- Kakarot has attacks named after the titles of different Dragon Ball games, such as Raging Blast and Sparking Meteor.
- The author also admits Bulma`s armor idea is based off the Extremis armor from the Iron Man comic series
- Took a Level in Badass: Kami, Raditz and all the human fighters are much stronger and play more important roles. Even Chiaotzu took a level after becoming the Emperor.
- Underestimating Badassery: Two of Garlic Junior's lords learn the hard way that Mr. Popo is far more powerful than