Grave Mentor is a Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch fanfiction written by Yincira.
Eleven years have passed since Michel attempted to take over the world and revive the Ancient Ones. But going with the Ancients has not solved many of Michel's problems. He has family, but one largely incapable of understanding his problems because they've been spirits unconnected from the world for too long. Michel is sent back to Earth, and meets Seira again.
However, all is not well in the Mermaid Kingdoms, and Michel's return serves to herald a world full of magical problems which are starting to boil over...
Grave Mentor is complete and can be read on FFN here and on Archive of Our Own.
Grave Mentor contains examples of:
- All Myths Are True: It's not just Mermaids and Ancients, either. It's Naga, and Leprechauns, and Vampires...
- Anti-Magic: Michel and the Panthalasans are resistant to the Mermaids' Magic Music.
- Darker and Edgier: Mostly only for those who have seen only the anime. Those who have read the manga will be less surprised by some of the content.
- Disguised in Drag: Michel thanks to Seira. See also Dude Looks Like a Lady below.Seira: You'd look more suspicious if you would try passing for a man, even your voice sounds female.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Michel gets to be the receiving end of this on more then one occasion.Michel: What do you mean, I look like a woman?
- The Group: The unnamed organization that allegedly looks after magical creatures in the human world. They are the ones who brainwash Seira and attempt to steal Michel's memories.
- Identity Amnesia: The Group tries to inflict this on Michel. It succeeds, but not in the way they expect. When he realized what was about to happen to him, Michel off loaded all of his long term memories to Michal. The Group had wanted to examine his memories, but were unable to do so.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Michel tries hard not to eat sapient creatures, but when his power is low he struggles with this. When the organization steals all of his memories and Michel forgets that he doesn't eat sapients, they learn this. The hard way .
- It Seemed Trivial: The Ancient Ones own this trope. They ask Michel if he wants to go back to Earth repeatedly before the story begins, but he doesn't believe he can, and they neglect to tell him otherwise until the story starts. They are also aware of the fact that the former Aqua Regina used magic to keep the Mermaid Kingdoms complacent but again, they neglect to tell Michel this until after he's back on Earth and things have gone From Bad to Worse.
- Magic Music: It wouldn't be Mermaid Melody without it.
- Power Gives You Wings : As in the manga, when Michel starts eating people, he gets more wings. Michal also grows some when Michel drops all of his memories into her head.
- Psychic Link: Michal has one with Michel. It doesn't seem to have done her any favors.
- Reality Ensues: The basic premise of the story. Some examples:
- Michel goes with his family at the end of the manga. However, the other Ancients have been separated from the world for a lot longer then he has, so they don't really know how to help him adjust to being a spirit or deal with the things he did while on Earth.
- Lucia becomes the new Aqua Regina at the end of the manga. However, she was simply given the job and was never trained for it. She ends up accidentally causing a monsoon in India. Later, when she decides to reveal the magical world to the human world, she makes enormous blunders on that front simply from not knowing enough about politics.
- When the Panthalassa are freed from their seal and return to land, they quickly begin suffering from skin cancer and similar problems because they have no resistance to UV rays.
- Sacrificial Lion: Poor Rihito...
- Transformation Trauma: Michal suffers from this after Michel offloads all of his long-term memories into her. See Power Gives You Wings .