In need of a trading partner after a particularly rough winter, Queen Elsa asks to trade with the Southern Isles. The partnership is swiftly agreed to as payback for what the youngest prince, Hans, tried to do the summer earlier. However, Hans' brother Karl has more sinister plans than he leads on.
At the same time, the relationship between Elsa and her younger sister Anna is changing. After years apart, the two are just starting to become close again. However, their love is complicated by a new, less-than-platonic bond connecting the two siblings.
Frozen Fractals provides examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Elsa refers to Anna as "snowbug".
- BrotherSister Incest: There's the sister/sister relationship between Elsa and Anna. Anna doesn't think much of the nature of their romance, but Elsa is initially horrified at the attraction.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Karl has Anna beat with a cat o' nine tails and burned with an iron in order to force Elsa into siding with him. It's also mentioned he had planned on raping her.
- Dark Fic: Arendelle is on the verge of war with the Southern Isles and, on top of that, there's drama over Anna and Elsa's relationship. It gets especially dark in later chapters.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Kristoff dies in Anna's arms after being stabbed.
- Hostage Situation:
- Karl holds Anna hostage with a knife to her throat. He doesn't let her go until Elsa gives up Arendelle to him.
- Later, Karl has Anna tortured in order to provoke Elsa to join him. This time it doesn't work.
- How We Got Here: The first chapter revolves around a man trying to take the throne from Elsa. The second chapter begins weeks beforehand.
- "It" Is Dehumanizing: Karl refers to Elsa with dehumanizing terms such as "creature".
- Parental Title Characterization:
- Elsa usually uses a mature "Father" but she slips into a childish "Papa" in a private moment of anguish.
- Anna also refers to mother as "Mother", however she begs for her "Mama" while being tortured.
- Precision F-Strike: Elsa only curses in such situations. The first time she does so is upon realizing that she was kissing Anna while tipsy.
- Secret Relationship: Elsa and Anna understandably keep their relationship a secret from others. This doesn't stop Karl from noticing it.
- Slash Fic: Frozen Fractals ships Anna and Elsa together.
- Spiteful Spit: Elsa spits blood onto Karl's boots.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Karl and Hans look so alike that, upon meeting, Elsa mistakes Karl for his younger brother.