For Love is a Naruto Peggy Sue fic written by Arcane Azmadi, his second work after Naruto: the Secret Songs of the Ninja. At the end of an alternate timeline where Naruto killed Pain instead of sparing him, Akatsuki have won. Naruto and his pregnant lover Hinata are captured and the Kyuubi is extracted from Naruto to enact the Moon's Eye Plan, killing him. Hinata passes out, only to wake up fifteen years in her past, back in her child's body. As is usual in Peggy Sue fics, she resolves to try and change things for the better, starting with improving her childhood and her family, and working her way up to saving the world.
Like Secret Songs, the fic has a draft thread on the SpaceBattles.com forums where you can read drafts of upcoming chapters as they're written. Please do not add spoilers from there until the chapter is officially released on fanfiction.net, as unreleased material is subject to change.
For Love provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Hinata, while limited by her child's body, still has all the talent she developed over her years of fighting and training, making her far stronger than anyone else her age.
- Bad Future: The time Hinata came from- because Naruto killed Pain rather than sparing him and causing him to do a HeelFace Turn, Pain didn't resurrect all the people he'd killed in his attack on Konoha, leaving it devastated. Tsunade died rather than eventually recovering from her coma, prompting Naruto to take his friends and defect from Konoha rather than serve under permanent-Hokage Danzo, waging a guerilla war against Akatsuki instead. The Grand Shinobi Alliance never formed and there was no great Fourth War, with Naruto's group just being whittled down until it's just him and Hinata (who's pregnant), and their luck ultimately runs out.
- Characterization Marches On: In-Universe, Hinata is quite surprised to see how different her classmates were as children. The most prominent examples are Sasuke, whom she remembers as a brooding loner turned into a revenge obssessed psycho, being a Cheerful Child, and Sakura, the temperamental Tsundere, being a Shrinking Violet.
- Cool Old Lady: Chizuru, Hinata's caretaker, a very kind and caring old woman who, unlike most people, doesn't mind Hinata befriending Naruto, and even tries to convince the others not to oppose it either.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: Hinata convinces her father and the Hokage that she can do this, to justify her knowledge of the future.
- The Finicky One: Hinata notices that her bodyguard Ko can actually be quite a bit like this, disapproving of her friendship with Naruto even more than her father does and trying to insist that others use proper honourifics to address her even when she tells them not to.
- For Want of a Nail: Naruto didn't find out that Hinata had survived Pain stabbing her, leading him to kill Pain in revenge for killing the only person who'd ever told him they loved him. This mistake dooms them all.
- Guile Hero: Hinata isn't above lying to and manipulating people to try and improve the future, including convincing her father and the Hokage that she can see the future in her dreams.
- Heroic Sacrifice: With a twist- rather than dying in his brother's place after Hiashi kills the Kumo ambassador, Hizashi himself is the one who saves Hinata from the ambassador and kills him, accepting his death as the price he has to pay for saving Hinata.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Each chapter is titled in the format "<something> for <something>" (e.g chapter 1, "Tears for Armageddon").
- Moment Killer: There's a flash-forward to a scene in the future where Naruto and Hinata were about to have sex when Kisame smashed the door of their hotel room down to try and capture them. He promptly got the absolute CRAP kicked out of him by a sexually-frustrated and very pissed-off Naruto, although we don't get to see it.
- My God, What Have I Done?: In the future, Naruto regretted killing Pain almost as soon as he did it, blaming himself for failing to end the cycle of revenge (which ultimately leads to Konan, determined to avenge Nagato, being instrumental in capturing Naruto).
- Only Friend: Remembering that Naruto grew up with no friends, Hinata deliberately seeks him out to be this to him. Slighty subverted in that Neji consequently also becomes a sort-of friend to Naruto as well, although he finds Naruto somewhat hard to handle.
- Peggy Sue: Obviously. Hinata has no idea what caused it, but has bigger things to worry about than trying to work it out.
- Pregnant Badass: Subverted; Hinata was a badass and was also pregnant, but was unable to fight effectively when she was due to give birth in less than a week, leading to her being held hostage by Akatsuki to force Naruto's surrender.
- Rage Breaking Point: Not rage so much as frustration, but Hinata's inability to prevent Neji from being branded with the Caged Bird Seal and apparent inability to satisfy her father when sparring with him causes her to snap and lash out, using her full abilities to easily evade and even land a blow on him, shocking everyone. It actually ends up working out for the best.
- Reality Ensues: Hinata simply cannot remember all the precise details of things that happened to her fifteen years ago and has to make educated guesses about a lot of things.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Hiashi is very much this. He even allows Hinata to become Naruto's friend despite acknowledging Naruto's pariah status in the village and the disapproval this may garner, as long as she does her best to be discreet.
- Retcon: Arcane Azmadi took Chapter 7 down when he realised he'd made a considerable number of continuity mistakes with the intention of rewriting it. It was replaced about a week later.
- Revenge: How the fic started- Naruto killed Nagato to avenge Hinata, Konan swore revenge on him for killing Nagato.
- Running Gag: As with all of Arcane Azmadi's fics, he takes the piss out of the I Do Not Own disclaimer at the start of every chapter.Disclaimer: Not guilty, your Honour.
- The Scapegoat: when her father asks her where she got the alarm seal she'd made that triggered when the Kumo ambassador tried to kidnap her, Hinata tells him that Naruto taught it to her, having invented it to use in a prank. She then has to actually teach Naruto to craft it herself and make him promise that he'll claim he invented it if questioned; he promptly starts actually using it in pranks, at least until the Hokage catches up with him.
- The Sleepless: Hinata knows a physical and mental discipline she learned during the guerilla war against Akatsuki that allows her to go for days without sleep by slowly burning chakra, with the drawback that she's putting her body "on credit" and will suffer badly once she ceases using it. She uses it to remain alert when she's afraid the Kumo ambassador is about to try and kidnap her, but her chakra runs out and she's eventually forced to end it right before he actually makes the attempt, leaving her too weak to fight him.
- The Stations of the Canon: Played with; Hinata starts to wonder whether she even can change anything at all when she's unable to keep Neji from being branded or Hizashi from dying, but she does make subtle but significant differences that lead to Neji not resenting the main family and actually becoming utterly devoted to her, at his father's urging. She eventually realises that some things are just too big for a child like her to change completely and resolves to do as much as she can, where she can, until she's strong enough to do more.
- Take That!: The Bad Future described above was inspired by fans who thought that Naruto should have killed Nagato.
- Teen Pregnancy: Downplayed; in the future Hinata became pregnant with her child with Naruto when she was 19 and was due to give birth around about the time of her 20th birthday.
- Total Eclipse of the Plot: At the start of the fic, a total lunar eclipse (that occurs every 15 years) causes a blood moon right before Hinata is sent back, and is also glowing in the sky when she wakes up in her child's body. Madara mentioned that it would intefere with the Moon's Eye Ritual, forcing Akatsuki to wait until it was over to perform it.