The plot is based on optional dialogue in Majora's Mask where Cremia tells Romani that she is an adult now and therefore she can drink the Chateau Romani. This just so happens to be the night before the moon is due to strike their town.
Final Toll provides examples of:
- Big Brother Instinct: Cremia gives Romani the Chateau Romani because she wants to protect her sister from the fear of waiting to die.
- Children Are Innocent: Romani has no idea what's going to happen in a few hours and is just happy that she's old enough to drink Chateau Romani.i. She doesn't realize that everyone is going to die before sunrise.
- Downer Ending: It's heavily implied that the moon comes crashing down, killing everyone.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Inverted. The happy and oblivious Romani gets drunk, but Cremia doesn't touch a bottle.
- Drunk on Milk: Enforced by Cremia, who gets her sister drunk on Chateau Romani so that she won't notice what's going to happen in a few hours. For what it's worth, Romani is too happy and ignorant to notice much is amiss.
- Finale Title Drop: The final line is "The final bell tolled."
- Think Happy Thoughts: Subverted. Cremia tries to do this but every time the earth tremors she's broken out of her illusion.
- Together in Death: Cremia gets Romani to sleep in bed with her. They end up cuddling while the moon crashes.