A bored delinquent and an exiled prodigy. When a MyStable profile called Anon-A-Miss sabotages all of Sunset's hard work and leaves her friendless Sunset finds herself exiled not just from Equestria, but from all of her social circles as well. Finding herself in the less walked corners of the school, she has a chance encounter with Gilda Grimfeather.
Rather than suffering under the imposing girl, Sunset and Gilda find themselves striking up an unusual friendship and more. Both outcasts, this is their story.
This fic does contain explicit sex scenes, but it isn't the main focus.
Featherfall includes examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Totally subverted as most of the suggested couples get together at some point.
- Most obviously being Rarity and Applejack.
- Bare-Handed Blade Block: Subverted when Gilda dons her plated gauntlet to block, catch, and deflect a blade.
- Berserk Button: Sunset and Gilda are this for each other when one of them is in danger.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Subverted, Sunset and Gilda are extremely open with saying how they feel for each other after Sunset has her legs broken in chapter 2.
- Somewhat applies to Applejack and Rarity.
- Cast from Hit Points: Sunset warns that wielding artifacts is very much this when Gilda is given the Huracan as a gift from Princess Celestia.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Chapter 11 reveals, in one of the most tearjerking ways, that Rainbow Dash had feelings for Gilda, in the form of Dash kissing Gilda during their debate on What Could Have Been concerning their old friendship.
- Disabled Love Interest: Sunset for Gilda.
- Dreaming of a White Christmas: Played with since the story begins in late fall and progresses through the months with the weather changing realistically, but the snow is omnipresent.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Tempest Shadow is this when Gilda calls her 'Fizz', prompting Tempest to pull a gun on her.
- Everyone Is Gay: Most of the relationships in the story are lesbian ones, although slightly subverted with the character's Penny & Helden, and references to Vice Principal Luna's relationship.
- Part of this is the issue of the Improbably Female Cast of Equestria Girls in which the vast majority of the non-background characters (and a high number of the background ones) are female.
- Fantastic Science: Princess Twilight and Sunset have a conversation after Sunset is injured suggesting that this is very much how magic is treated in Equestria.
- Human Twilight Sparkle approached this as well, coming from the mundane side of things.
- I Can't Feel My Legs: After an attack at her home in a dilapidated factory, Sunset says this when Gilda finds her.
- Iconic Item: Gilda is rarely ever without her 'talon' gauntlet.
- Kindness Button: Sunset is this for Gilda almost universally.
- "L" Is for "Dyslexia": Gilda is revealed to be this in Chapter 8.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Gilda. When Sunset is danger Gilda taps into her inherent magic to protect her. She tends to do this by resorting to extreme violence that Sunset generally brings her out of.
- Mama Bear: Gilda is this to Sunset.
- Principal Celestia towards both Sunset and Gilda to a certain extent.
- MasculineFeminine Gay Couple: Actually subverted with Sunset and Gilda who look to be the stereotype on the surface, with Sunset being the 'feminine' one and Gilda being the 'masculine', but Gilda's actual personality strays far more towards androgyny than masculinity. Her seemingly stereotypical masculine aggression and mannerisms being mostly due to being raised by a male father-figure ganglord whose habits she grudgingly acknowledges that she picked up.
- Official Couple: Gilda Grimfeather and Sunset Shimmer, obviously.
- Perspective Flip: Played with when the author writes from the perspectives of Sunset's original friends, showing them as being flawed, regretful, and introspective rather than being villains of the piece.
- School Girl Lesbians: Most of the couples are this, mostly clearly: Gilda & Sunset, but also Octavia & Vinyl, Rarity & Applejack, and to a certain extent Sci-Twi & Zee.
- School Nurse: Nurse Bedside Manners.
- The Hecate Sisters: The Sirens fit this trope well; Adagio, Aria, and Sonata.
- The Power of Friendship: Subverted immediately as Sunset is abandoned by her friends when someone frames her for leaking secrets online.
- Played straight with Sunset's new friends.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Gilda was this before her parents died in a car crash and she was adopted by ganglord.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Subverted with Gilda who is warm-hearted and kind underneath her angry, delinquent exterior.