A Warhammer 40,000 Dungeon Core fanfic.
A person from our world wakes as a crystalline core inside a Space Hulk, able to reconfigure it within his (small, slowly growing) area of influence, and with mana spawn duplicates of any gear left abandoned and any units that die within the area. This doesn't help him much, until a Chaos psyker happens to be killed trying to get him for use as a power battery.
From there the road is clear, he must try to grow and assimilate and fortify the Hulk against the hostile forces that will almost certainly come for him.
The forum fiction thread is available here.
Dungeon Hulk contains examples of:
- Blood Knight: Mary, a psyker who lives for close-quarters combat. And the Khorne cultists, of course.
- Dungeon-Based Economy: The protagonist wonders if he might be that sort of dungeon, ultimately concluding that his minions are too powerful and offer too little loot to be worth farming.
- Dungeon Maintenance: Part of the fun is watching the dungeon grow in size and complexity.
- Easy Logistics: Averted, there are a number of things that can be produced easily... eventually.
- Genius Loci: The protagonist, of course.
- Magic Knight: Mary, who uses her psyker powers far more for speed/strength enhancement and combat precog than anything else, not that she's above throwing around a little lightning where appropriate.
- Respawning Enemies: The heroic faction, to their enemies, are this. Everyone who falls is reborn twelve hours later, and their souls are reunited with the protagonist immediately upon death.
- Shock and Awe: A lot of psykers on the Hulk seem fond of lightning, including Mary.
- You Require More Vespene Gas: The protagonist wishes he had a palm, and a face to hide with it, when he realizes he can build mana generators and the first one is free.