At her wit's end and desperate to end the fighting, Jaina Proudmore decides to portray herself as a "Sacrificial Lamb" by arranging a Political Marriage with Warchief Thrall. (Who, unknown to her people, she does have strong romantic feelings for.)
In greater detail it is a medley of emotion, swift action, political drama, that sums together into a recipe of pure unhampered awesome. The Fan-Preferred Couple Jaina/Thrall is written wonderfully in character and into a situation that realistically draws reactions out. The Witty Humor never fails to delight and the twists never stop shocking and amazing us. The most hard hitting part of this work is it's words and portrayals that blend seamlessly with their environment. Common comments in the reviews are that this could easily be canon and is entirely believable. Some even claim Better Than Canon, and with good reason.
Diplomacy takes place in the same universe as Weiila's other Warcraft stories; Shades of Grey and Remembering Grey which tells the story of Ambassador Thomas Southstone and his friend prior to his role in Diplomacy.
Worthy of note (among other things) for having received over 400 reviews without even being finished. Not to be confused with the popular board game.
This Fan Fic Contains Examples Of:
- Action Girl: Chapter 13. Nuff said.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Two instances, both nods towards all the jokes about night elf/troll romances.
- When it's told that Tyrande Whisperwind will be in attendance for the marriage reception, Thrall pointedly tells Vol'jin and all the Darkspear men to behave themselves. Vol'jin stares for a *Beat*, then he and the crowd keel over laughing.
- During the marriage reception, the troll dancing entertainment throws Tyrande Whisperwind a flower and a kiss. Tyrande takes both in good humor.
- Altar Diplomacy: The whole premise, with an underlying of Perfectly Arranged Marriage.
- "Ass" in Ambassador: The Stormwind emissary comes dangerously close to this.
- Averted in Thomas Southstone, who regards his position as Ambassador to the Horde as a great honor, and greatly respects the various Horde cultures. In fact, his excitement about getting to travel in Horde territory is considered a bit strange.
- Beyond the Impossible: Jaina knows the ways of arcane magic inside and out, so she is caught off guard when the Lich King manages to attack her, through a magical telepresence illusion from him to Durotar, itself through a second illusion from the Forsaken to Durotar.
- Cool Old Lady: Great Mother Geyah, Thrall's grandmother.
- Aegwynn, though she is technically immortal.
- Cavalry Betrayal: This is what all the men in Tiragarde Keep feel when they finally see Lord Admiral Tandred Proudmoore and his fleet arrive... only to have him order them out of the keep and back to Kul Tiras because they are encroaching on Orc land.
- Double Take: Just about every Alliance and Horde member in the audience has this "Wait, what?" reaction when Jaina and Thrall's ceasefire affirmation ceremony between Theramore and Durotar turns midway into a marriage ceremony.
- Internal Reveal: Thrall and Jaina planned their political marriage well in advanced, but almost nobody knew until the ceremony.
- Lady of War: Jaina, shown both in Warcraft canon and Diplomacy fanon.
- Laugh Themselves Sick:
- After Jaina and Thrall are married in front of both Theramore and Durotar, while the crowd is in its Stunned Silence, the goblins are shrieking with laughter. Gazlowe in particular laughs himself off his chair.
- Vol'jin keels over laughing after Thrall pointedly tells him to make sure the Darkspear men behave themselves, since the night elves will be attending the wedding reception.
- Magical Girl: Jaina.
- Mundane Solution: When the Lich King manages to attack Thrall through two magical illusions, Varimathras solves the issue by crushing the skull of the Scourge mage projecting one of the illusions.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Though he has done nothing about it thus far Kael says it best with:Kael: Do as you wish, miss Proudmoore, but know that he will see you in my arms before he dies!
- One of the Lich King's probable reasons for attacking.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Tandred tries and is denied by both his sister and Thrall.
- Overprotective Brother: Poor Tandred.
- Rape as Backstory: By mutual agreement, Tandred and Thrall portray Jaina's previous affair with Arthas as this to stir up unified outrage against the Lich King.
- Right Behind Me: Stormwind emissary Dunhave is so busy trying to spell out to Jaina what her diplomatic marriage to Thrall means to the Alliance that he doesn't notice her new husband entering the room until he's right behind him.
- Shocking Voice Identity Reveal: When the Lich King starts insulting Thrall in orcish, his voice sounds different. Drek'thar, a shaman from before the orcs were corrupted by the Legion, angrily recognizes the voice and reveals that it's not just Arthas within the Lich King, but Ner'zhul as well.
- Shoot the Messenger: The Forsaken had been doing this out of habit to several undead troops from the Scourge (real defectors would at least speak), who for some reason had all been carrying bits of cloth, that it take some time before one of them manages to say he's carrying a white flag (and he's still incinerated).
- Sour Supporter: Garrosh Hellscream is the only one of Thrall's advisors who has strong feelings against the new union, but he knows how to hold his tongue. Vol'jin too has his reservations, but doesn't show them outwardly.
- Stalker with a Crush: Kael'thas. Just as creepily interested in Jaina as he was in the novel only now he has Nightmare Fuel from working with the legion on his side.
- Stunned Silence: Many, many times throughout the fic, especially when a ceasefire affirmation turns into a marriage ceremony before everyone's eyes.
- Sure, Let's Go with That: When the Lich King speaks with Jaina and Thrall via magical projection, he makes a remark about "his body having fond memories of Jaina", which causes her to recoil in horror. Later, Garrosh makes a comment about Arthas' honor that causes Thrall to realize everyone assumes Arthas raped Jaina. Thrall, Tandred, and Aegwynn decide to run with the idea to help galvanize both the Alliance and Horde against the Scourge.
- Wham Episode:Chapter 13 cranks the action Up to Eleven.
- Yandere: The Lich King's reaction to the happy union has more then a hint of this. To put it in Sylvanas's words:Sylvanas: Good. If he can still be petty, then he still has weaknesses that can prove fatal to him.
- Kael also has a few hints. The "brutish embrace" remark borders on racial slur and his reaction when he learns what was really going on...