As soon as Stoick and Gobber find Hiccup in the Bewilderbeast's nest, the events of How to Train Your Dragon 2 start to unfold differently into an AU where Stoick lives. The story continues on into events after How to Train Your Dragon 2 where the characters deal with new problems and threats.
Deviation provides examples of:
- Actually a Good Idea: In chapter nine, Hiccup says this about Ruffnut and Tuffnut's plan on how to get rid of the ice in the village.
- Cursed With Awesome: The Hobblegrunt that was blinded by a tree snare. It turned out his bad luck ended up making him immune to Drago's Bewilderbeast's mind control and gives Hiccup his idea of how to come to Berk's rescue.
- Dude, Not Funny!: Snotlout vocally disapproved of the twins' joke comparing the Grimborns to cats after finding out Ryker Grimborn had survived the events of the two part episode Shell Shocked.
- Hunting the Most Dangerous Game: The family that lives on Healer's Island enjoy hunting visitors to the island.
- Ironic Name: Hiccup names the blind Hobblegrunt Heimdall after the all seeing Viking god.
- It's All My Fault: Unlike in canon, Drago doesn't take Toothless with him. Not wanting to risk Toothless falling under the control of Drago's Bewilderbeast's again, Hiccup decides to stay behind with Toothless at the ice nest while the others go to stop Drago from conquering Berk. This allows Hiccup some time to reflect on recent events and ends up blaming himself for making Berk Drago's next target.
- Join or Die: Drago, before his defeat, wanted to kill everyone in Berk if they refused to join him.
- Mistaken for Suicidal: Stoick and Valka thought Hiccup had attempted to kill himself after he returns to camp on Healer's Island with one of his forearms cut after an encounter with a man convinced Hiccup is going to kill him. Doesn't help things any that before the trip to Healer's Island Astrid told them Hiccup has scars from injuries she says that don't look like accidents.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Stoick and Valka each have these moments whenever they realize just how bad a parent they've been towards Hiccup.
- Surprisingly Realistic Outcome: After the joy of finding out his mother is still alive wears off after Drago is defeated, Hiccup wonders if he can trust her and if him, her, and his father could be a family again considering earlier she wanted to stay at the ice nest.
- Spared by the Adaptation:
- Ryker Grimborn