Death and His Shadow is a Death Note Fan Fic on Fanfiction.net by an user named sugarswirls. It is a Alternate Universe Fic in which L is a Psychopomp who wants to take Raito's soul after he dies... but there's a problem. He doesn't die.
This is a really decent AU fanfic which includes most of the main and supporting casts from the original series, but often in different roles. Hasn't been updated for a while, but hope dies last.
(Wiki Magic is needed).
Examples of tropes from this fanfic include:
- A God Am I - Raito, of course, altough somewhat justified this time. And L does a good job holding him back. Well... a better job, then Ryuk.
- Artifact of Doom - Interestingly enough, not in Raito's hands this time.
- Cannot Spit It Out - Raito. Just... say that you love L.
- Clingy Jealous Girl - Boy. L. Oh, boy.
- Deadpan Snarker - L, but Raito has his moments as well.
- Deal with the Devil - In a way.
- Even the Guys Want Him - Raito, of course.
- Hallucinations - That's what everyone thinks about Raito and "Ryuzaki"
- Love Triangle - L, Raito and Mikami, also very heavily hinted Mello, Near and Matt
- Moment Killer - L, when Raito is on a date with Mikami.
- Morality Chain - L for Raito. Really.
- No Medication for Me
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend - L, of course.
- Posthumous Character - Mello and Near. Maybe.
- Psychopomp - L, Near, Matt.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning - A. Shinigami eyes. Nuff said.
- Satan - Misa of all people.
- Shinigami - Well, of course they're here as well.
- Shipper on Deck - Sayu
- Sleep Cute
- Talking in Your Sleep - Raito.
- The Anti-Christ - More like Anti-Kiras. Three of them. One of them is Mikami
- There Are No Therapists - Averted.
- Video Game Culture - Matt, hoo, boy.
- What the Hell, Hero? - L likes giving lectures to Raito if he makes something inmoral.
- You Can See Me? - Of course that's how Raito's and L's relationship starts. Also, Matt. Hilarity Ensues. Again, when L becomes human, and others start to see him.