Penny was faking being the Chalk Queen the whole time and was trying to get close enough to Rudy to help, so everything goes back to normal right? Um... wrong. A series of nasty nightmares have been plaguing Rudy, and talking things out isn't going to be easy.
Crossing Lines, Small Crimes provides examples of:
- Armor-Piercing Question: Snap asks one of Rudy after the mess with Penny."Did you apologize to her?"
- Deconstruction Fic: Of the Fake Defector trope used in "Chalk Queen". While pretending to be against Rudy did enable the trio to ultimately win against Skrawl and it is argued by Snap that there may have been no other alternative, it still doesn't change the fact that Penny not only put Rudy through emotional hell by making him believe she really joined Skrawl just for the sake of making it realistic, but she also very easily could have killed Snap. Penny's entire plan hinged on whether or not Rudy knew what to do and if he could even react in time. If Rudy hadn't drawn the milk when he did, Snap would have died. Regardless of her heroic intentions, Penny was still gambling with one of her friends' lives.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: After a massive misunderstanding and a giant fight, Rudy and Penny manage to mend their friendship.
- Fix Fic: This story has Rudy realistically react to Penny's fake betrayal, instead of just brushing it off like he seemed to in "Chalk Queen".
- My God, What Have I Done?: Rudy's reaction when he shoves Penny to the ground during their argument, scaring and injuring her.
- Poor Communication Kills: As Penny points out, if Rudy had just told her about his fears, she'd have helped him get over them and their fight would never have happened.
- Reality Ensues: No matter how nice a person you are or how close a friend they are, someone faking a defection that nearly got one of your friends killed isn't something you get over easily.
- Would Hit a Girl: Mild case with Rudy since he was only doing it in self-defense but he does shove Penny very hard when he thinks she's about to hurt him, causing her injuries in the form of scratches on her arms.