Nice to meet you, he says. Im Sora!
Carbuncle pauses and looks up at him in something like surprise.
The sky? it says, the end lilted upward like a question.
Uh, yeah, says Sora, standing upright again. Thats what it means.
Oh! Carbuncle says, and then it leaps into the air, squeaking excitedly. Then youre like him! The same sky!
Cor Autem Aurora by HakureiRyuu and Isis_the_Sphinx is an ongoing Crossover Fix Fic between Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XV. Set after the events of Dream Drop Distance, Sora is led by a strange Dream Eater named Carbuncle to the world of Eos, where a precarious ceasefire has been struck between the empire of Niflheim and the kingdom of Lucis. When the balance tips, Sora teams up with the world's Princess of Heart, Lunafreya, to clear the path for the one true king to destroy the darkness once and for all.
This work provides examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny: Hearing that "Swim This Way" was written by a talking lobster has Luna doubled over in laughter and leaning on her trident.
- Adaptational Badass: Luna gets to show off a little bit of combat prowess here. At the Disc of Cauthess she easily blocks a surprise dagger strike from Ardyn with her trident, and later when Ardyn tries to corrupt Sora, she blasts him with divine lightning from her covenant with Ramuh, killing him over and over until he flees.
- Adaptational Sexuality: Sora, Riku, Noctis, and Prompto are all bisexual. Crowe offhandedly mentions to Aranea that she and Libertus are both gay.
- Armor-Piercing Question: When Luna tries to send Sora away, claiming that she has to make her journey alone, he asks if she would ask Noctis to make his trip all by himself.
- Ask a Stupid Question...: Nyx asks who the hell Riku is when Riku blasts Drautos with a Thundaga. Riku's answer is "Riku."
- Bilingual Bonus: The fic's Latin title translates to "Heart of Light."
- Composite Character: Of sorts. "Oracle" is the title the people of Eos use for "Princess of Light."
- Connected All Along: Ardyn took his fake surname from Xehanort Izunia.
- Crisis Catch And Carry: When Luna makes her Covenant with Titan, Noctis is simultaneously in a fight with Loqi and his mech; the effect of the Covenant hits Noctis mid-warp fifty feet in the air, and he drops to the concrete. Loqi's thoroughly-trashed mech nearly falls on top of him before Libertus scoops him up and Gladio shields them from the impact.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
- The attack on Insomnia, of course, as we get to see from the ground level through Kairi and Riku as they work with the remaining Kingsglaive to save civilians.
- Ardyn doesn't break a sweat besting Sora, knocking away his Keyblade, and subduing him. Once Ardyn inadvertently triggers Anti-Form, though, he's put on the defensive, and then Luna arrives smiting him into oblivion over and over with Ramuh's lightning until he's forced to retreat.
- Dies Differently in Adaptation:
- Crowe kills Luche after Sora inadvertently thwarts his assassination attempt on her.
- Iedolas puts on the Ring of the Lucii as his airship leaves the assault on Insomnia, and is promptly found unworthy and burned alive.
- Didn't See That Coming: Fed up with Sora's interference, Ardyn lures him away, subdues him, and pumps him full of Starscourge. It does turn Sora into a being of darkness, but unfortunately for Ardyn, the being of darkness is Anti-Form, and it's angry.
- Distant Prologue: The story begins with a young Xehanort visiting Ardyn in his prison at Angelgard.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Sora can barely keep up with the conversation when he runs into Iris because he's so focused on Gladio's size, and eyes, and scar, and biceps, and abs, and...
- Dream Walker: Carbuncle leads Sora to Eos as it was at the beginning of XV through adult Noctis's dreams of the past—according to the authors, specifically by using the Power of Waking to traverse Noctis's heart.
- Dumpster Dive: One of the first things Sora does when he hits Lestallum is go dumpster diving. He finds a few pieces of gil and some lightning shards, to his delight.
- Eternal Recurrence: Eos is stuck in one. The events of Final Fantasy XV occur over and over in a loop that only its gods are aware of.
- Flat "What":Sora: Well, don't worry too much if [Titan] gets out of hand. I've fought rock titans before!Luna: [starts to nod, then stops] Wait, what?
- From Bad to Worse: On top of the city's obliteration, Drautos escapes Insomnia with the Ring of the Lucii. Aldercapt puts it on and is quickly killed by it, leaving Ardyn free to claim it for himself.
- I Can't Feel My Legs: Noctis takes a tumble from fifty feet in the air during the fight against Loqi. After Cor uses a Phoenix Down on him and the gang is back in the Regalia, Noctis realizes he can't feel his legs when Prompto taps his knee to get his attention and he fails to notice.
- Identical Stranger:
Riku: I'm okay. Are you— Why are there two of you?Kairi: Not the most reassuring thing you could have said!Iris: [simultaneously] Hi, I'm Iris.
- Riku and Sora both mistake Iris for Kairi at different points. Riku, hilariously, makes this mistake immediately after Kairi cures his concussion during the battle of Insomnia.
- Additionally, the group weaponizes Riku's resemblance to Noctis—Kairi dyes Riku's hair black and Cindy and Ignis set up the Regalia with a new license plate similar to its old one and set him loose in the world. Riku and the Regalia rendezvous with Vyv Dorden, and when Riku is accosted by MTs, he makes a public scene about being targeted by soldiers and fired upon just for resembling Prince Noctis, sowing seeds of unrest among the population.
- Intimate Healing: Luna pulls Noctis into a Headbutt of Love when she heals him. After taking a shower, Luna crawls into bed with Noctis as the magic works through his body.
- Mundane Utility: Noctis has a wheelchair, crutches, and a knee brace stored in his armiger.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Played for Laughs. Everyone immediately regrets giving Sora a Gummiphone and introducing him to texting and social media. Except Prompto.
- Mythology Gag: At night, Luna asks which star is Sora's home world. He explains that it can be hard to tell; only some worlds keep fixed positions in the sky—"Like that one there, second star to the right."
- OOC Is Serious Business: Luna notes that Gentiana, for the first time she's ever known, sounds cautious when she asks what Sora, a Keyblade wielder, is doing in Eos.
- Properly Paranoid: Sora isn't away on Eos for very long before Riku is worried by his absence and goes after him with Kairi. Sure enough, their Gummi Ship touches down in Insomnia in the middle Niflheim's assault.
- Refuge in Audacity: Lunafreya and Sora are caught escaping Fenestala Manor, with the maid that helped Luna held at gunpoint. Grasping, Lunafreya claims that Sora is kidnapping her, and Sora plays along, poorly, after a solid moment of open-mouth gaping at her. Somehow, the guards are shocked enough that it works.
- Screw Destiny: Carbuncle brings Sora to Eos to break the cycle the world is stuck in. Eventually it gets Gentiana in on the plan, and Ramuh helps to point Noctis and Luna in the right direction.
- While discussing the mechanics of Munny with Kairi, Riku recalls a Moogle telling him about a Heartless that figured out how to synthesize the stuff, invaded a spirit bathhouse, and used it to lure victims toward it.
- Iris says the Keyblade Glider reminds her of a solar sail, from a movie she can't remember the name of.
- Sneaky Departure: While Sora is in Lestallum picking up camping supplies for himself and Luna, she leaves the haven to go find Ramuh and make her next Covenant.
- Spared by the Adaptation: Crowe survives her assassination, thanks to a timely and unintentional interruption from Sora, and Riku interrupting Nyx's duel with Drautos saves Nyx's life...but allows Drautos to escape with his life as well, and also the Ring of the Lucii.
- Spot the Imposter: While Noctis and Luna commune with Ramuh, Sora spots Young Xehanort fleeing the scene. He follows, and Xehanort taunts him. But Sora realizes that he isn't wearing his usual Organization cloak, he hasn't summoned his Keyblade, and for as much as he talks about Sora's friends, he never actually names them. Sora calls him out on the last one, and "Xehanort" reveals himself to be Ardyn.
- Take That!: Sora sings "Swim This Way" for Luna on their way to the Disc of Cauthess. Luna is less than impressed.Luna: Sora, that's atrocious.Sora: What! Come on, I'm not that bad!Luna: Not your voice, your voice is fine. Just... the song. It's unbelievably terrible.[beat]Sora: In fairness, it was written by a talking lobster.
- There Is Another: Turns out, Maleficent lied to Riku when she told him there were seven Princesses of Light. He's rather miffed with himself for believing her for so long when Lunafreya tells him there are more. Specifically, every world has one heart of pure light, but only seven in the multiverse have a fragment of the χ-blade at any given time.
- These Hands Have Killed: Prompto lands the killing shot on Loqi, and it shakes him.
- Troll: Ardyn, as per usual and taken to rather malicious levels. Can be best seen when he reveals that he has taken the Emperor's place to Ravus and only Ravus while he is swearing fealty in front of the Nilfhiem high command.
- What's a Henway?: Noctis wakes up to Gladio reading the Cosmogony, Gladio saying that Cor gave it to him when he asked him some questions.Noctis: What the hell did you even ask Cor in the first place, if a copy of the Cosmogony is his answer?Gladio: Oh, nothing serious. I just had a couple questions about nunya.When Noctis thinks about his reaction later, and how he fell right into the stupidest of all traps, he will console himself with the knowledge that he was still drowsy, still focused almost entirely on the prospect of seeing Luna again, and had quite a trying few days on top of it all.Noctis: The hell is nunya?
- Wrong Context Magic: Everyone who sees the magic the Keyblade wielders use is completely dumbfounded by it—in Eos, only the Caelum and Fleuret bloodlines are capable of using healing magic at all, and only the Lucian monarchs and those they share their magic with can summon weapons.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: There frequently are discrepancies in the passing of time between worlds, but when Kairi and Riku call Ienzo, he says they only left a few minutes ago, while Kairi and Riku have been in Eos for two days. Ienzo says it's the most extreme time discrepancy he's heard of.