WARNING: The fic contains spoilers for Silent Hill 2. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
James is in despair after Mary finally succumbs to her terminal illness despite his hope. His father invites hims to stay with him after Mary's funeral for emotional support which James accepts.
But then James' mourning is interrupted when something dark comes after him. He tries to ignore it, he tries to dismiss it as his imagination. But it does not rest until James goes to Silent Hill....
- Adult Fear: James's father Frank Sunderland having to watch his son spiral into depression and starts acting erratically after his wife's death. When James believes that something is stalking him, Frank disregards him thinking that his son's depression and anxiety is acting up. Frank finds out too late that something really is when James goes to Silent Hill for answers. Because he disregarded his son's fears, his son is taken and never seen again.
- Armor-Piercing Question: James's conscience is quick to point that when James is mourning Mary that James doesn't mention loving Mary when he mentions that their marriage was anchor for him and how her death disrupts the established pattern in his life.
- Agent Scully: Frank is hesitant to believe James when he tells him he is being attacked by monsters, but to be fair to Frank his son has been dangerously depressed and suicidal after his daughter-in-law's death.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: James is turned into a demon.
- Ascended Extra: Frank Sunderland, who served as a Continuity Nod in Silent Hill 4, has a prominent role as he takes his distraught son back in after Mary's funeral.
- The Beard: Mary is implied to have been one to James as its pointed out to him that he enjoyed the fact that Mary was often too sick to have sex and his feelings were platonic not romantic.
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Quite literally, the monsters of Silent Hill calls James through his phone to talk to him to make him come to Silent Hill.
- Cassandra Truth: When James tells his father that he believes that something is out to get him, Frank dismiss him as being paranoid.
- Contagious Cassandra Truth: Unfortunately by the time Frank found out the truth, nobody believes him when he tries to get help.
- Closed Circle: James is trapped in Silent Hill after he gets into a car accident getting there. The monsters make sure to destroy his car to make sure that he can't leave.
- Downer Beginning: The story begins during Mary's funeral with James in despair over her death. It doesn't get any better for James.
- Downer Ending: Due to its status as a Dead Fic James is turned into a demon and is forced to remain in Silent Hill to protect his father and he and Frank will never see each other again
- Deus Sex Machina: James becomes a Humanoid Abomination after being forced into sex with Pyramid Head and Vatiel, he even notes that its a plot to a bad porno.
- First-Episode Spoiler: It's mentioned in the summary of the story that James didn't kill his wife, Mary.
- For Want of a Nail: The forces in Silent Hill have to resort to different methods of making James stay in Silent Hill since he doesn't have his obsession to find Mary.
- Hell Is That Noise: A textual example with the supermarket mike.
- Humanoid Abomination: by the end, James.
- In Spite of a Nail: Despite James not killing his wife, he goes to Silent Hill anyways. Although in this fic it is because the monsters attacking him at his home are demanding that he go to find answers.
- Kick the Dog: Pyramid Head and the other monster brag during their phone call to Frank that they will sexually assault James when they get their hands on him. Which they do solely to rub it in that Frank is helpless to stop them.
- "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization: James is rather disturbed and disgusted that he started to enjoy Vatiel and Pyramid Head's physical and sexual abuse of him.
- Not His Sled: The premise is that Mary died naturally of her illness and James had nothing to do with it.
- Police are Useless: The police do investigate James' disappearance but then dismiss the case believing that James left to get away from an overbearing father.
- Trauma Conga Line: James' wife dies after years of suffering a terminal illness. Then he gets stalked and attacked at his own home and gets into a car accident during his search for answers. The two people he finds in Silent Hill is either a sexual predator or psychotic. He gets cornered by Pyramid Head and Vatiel is raped by the both of them and transformed into Humanoid Abomination. He then is forced to deny his father's rescue of him for his father's safety.
- A Tragedy of Impulsiveness: Frank is quick to dismiss James' fear of a stalker and monster as paranoia and doesn't stop his son from going to Silent Hill to find answers. His actions result in James' monster gloating to him over the phone how he drove James to them and results in James being assaulted and sexually before being forced to stay.
- Wants a Prize for Basic Decency: Pyramid Head argues that he hasn't raped James because if he did, James would be dead.