A collection of stories of Sunni Universe - baby daughter of Steven Universe and Connie Maheswaren-Universe - and her Gem family.
The fanfic can be found on Fanfiction.net.
Close Encounter of the 6 Months Old Kind provides examples of:
- Badass Adorable: When Jasper play fights and loses with Sunni, much to her embarrassment. Garnet comments that Ruby did the same thing with Steven when he was that age.
- Badass and Baby: Things become pretty sweet Jasper warms up to Sunni.
- Cheerful Child: Sunni does not seem to scare easily, Jasper's threats falling on deaf ears for the baby."Whatever it is, I'm not falling for it like them," she continued, "You got that, brat?" Had she been paying attention, Sunni might have actually been frightened by the orange gem. Instead, she was focused on a very shiny object right in the middle of Jasper's face.
Jasper's eyes grew wide as Sunni suddenly grabbed her gem. She then tugged on it, causing Jasper to jerk back and let out a noise of surprise and Sunni to giggle. Jasper narrowed her eyes at the baby as she covered her gem. Her mouth twitched slightly.
- Child Prodigy: With Peridot tutoring her for her entire life, Sunni is exceptionally advanced in the scientific fields. This unfortunately has led her to be considered disruptive by her science teacher at school, correcting her and not answering questions in a satisfactory manner.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Connie brings up her grievance with Jasper over giving Sunni a sword as a Christmas present, Jasper points out that gems start handling weapons right out of the ground and that Connie was also very young when she first started handling weapons.
- Defrosting the Ice Queen: While Peridot and Jasper are off-put by Sunni at first, it does not take long for the two to end up becoming an extra pair of babysitters for her.
- Klingons Love Shakespeare: Jasper seems to have developed appreciation for the Earth sport of hockey and tries getting Sunni into it. This later leads to a confrontation with Pearl, who she fights over whether Sunni would prefer hockey or figure skating. This aparenty has become a common occurrence.
- Like Mother, Like Daughter: Connie does not take it well when Jasper gives Sunni a sword. Sound familiar? Granted, Connie was not a baby when she started handling swords, but splitting hairs, am I right?
- Mama Bear: Seems to apply for all of the gems when it comes to Sunni's well-being, especially Jasper.
- Shout-Out: The fanfic's title is a reference to Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- Stand-In Parents: When Steven and Connie are unable to visit for a parent teacher conference for Sunni, Lapis and Peridot fill in for them. Unfortunately, this ends with Peridot starting a fight with the teacher that no doubt has left her banned from the school.