A fanfic by Joemerl.
After Duncan and Gwen's betrayal, Courtney tries to make them jealous by flirting with the person she believes will hurt them the most: Cody. Things spin off in an unexpected direction from there. Eventual Cody/Courtney, AU from "The Ex-Files" onward.
This fanfiction series contains examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: Instead of flirting with Tyler in The Ex-Files, Courtney decides the better move is flirting with Cody. Things only branch off more from there.
- Ascended Extra: The interns, who are seen but not heard in canon, get enough dialogue and focus to become supporting characters. They are even dignified with names, though Chris can't be bothered to use them.
- Bad Boss: Chris, obviously, but also one of his own superiors, Sherri DeVille, who can apparently beat employees within an inch of their life with impunity.
- Batman Gambit: Attempted but failed. Despite agreeing with Courtney's plan to eliminate Sierra, Cody finds himself unable to go through with it, and attempts another plan: since Courtney and Sierra would vote for each other, and assuming Alejandro and Heather would also vote for each other, Cody decides to vote for himself in the hopes of causing a 5-way tie, assuming Chris would make it a non-elimination round. This backfires majorly after it turns out both Alejandro and Heather voted for Cody instead, resulting in his own elimination.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Played for Laughs, concerning the Sierra/Cody/Courtney Love Triangle.Cody: I have two hot girls fighting over me. This is like...my dream. It's supposed to be awesome. WHY ISN'T IT AWESOME?!
- Connected All Along: The fact that Cody and Ezekiel hung out a lot at the Playa des Losers becomes important during "African Lying Safari."
- Father, I Want to Marry My Brother: At one point Cody mentions that, aside from Sierra, the only girl who's ever expressed interest in dating him was his three-year-old cousin.
- For Want of a Nail: This story's initial divergence from canon is a small one: in an attempt to get back at her faithless ex-boyfriend, Duncan, Courtney flirts with Cody instead of Tyler. Subsequent, ever-increasing divergences tend to flow organically from this.
- Freudian Excuse: The Flashbacks establish that Ezekiel was desperate to prove himself as more than "some hick kid from the prairie," which helps explain his desire to stay in the game and resulting Sanity Slippage.
- Karma Houdini: Subverted. In canon, after discovering that Alejandro got Courtney's help to cheat in China, people voted off Courtney but never even mentioned that Alejandro was now a proven cheater; here, cheating with Owen seriously dents his status as a Villain with Good Publicity.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: Alejandro makes a vow to do this after he's nearly eliminated in African Lying Safari.
- Love Epiphany: Cody and Courtney both get one in "African Lying Safari, Part II".
- Musical World Hypotheses: In the Australia episode, Chris makes the contestants sing while shearing sheep, then pauses the contest so that he can make Team Amazon go down to a makeshift stage and sing it again while playing instruments. He also mentions that the visuals seen in "The Ex-Files" were CGI; in reality, they sang that while just standing in the mine field.
- Named by the Adaptation: The interns, unnamed in canon, are dignified with names in the fic. Billy keeps his Fanon name, the one who looks remarkably like him is Willy, and the black intern is Nelson.
- The Nicknamer: Since Chris can't be bothered to learn his interns' names, he refers to Billy as "Guy," Willy as "Other Guy" and Nelson as "Redshirt."
- Oblivious to Love: Cody, in a way. Courtney is obviously using him for an Operation: Jealousy plan, but he's so fixated on Gwen that he just thinks that she's being unusually friendly to him.
- Operation: Jealousy: The plot kicks off with an AU take on "The Ex-Files," where Courtney tries this trope with Cody instead of Tyler. She reasons (incorrectly) that Gwen would be upset to lose Cody's fawning over her.
- Prophecies Are Always Right: "Chinese Fake Out" features fortune cookies. Each seems to Foreshadow something.
- Courtney's says "Act like a friend and you will find many close companions." In the next challenge, she has to Take a Level in Kindness to get Cody and Ezekiel's support.
- Cody's says "What you once sought is now right under your nose." He's finally found a girl who will return his feelings.
- Owen's fortune, later found by Sierra, says "Do not waste your affections on one who doesn't return them." Referring, of course, to Alejandro and Cody, respectively.
- Chris' says "Stray from the path you are on, for it will lead to great misfortune." The meaning of this one isn't clear yet.
- Smart Ball: Played for Laughs in both parts of "Chinese Fake-Out," with Owen suddenly displaying detailed knowledge of paleontology and ancient Chinese culinary habits for a gag.
- Through the Eyes of Madness: The narrative occasionally uses the deranged Ezekiel as the point of view character. (Also, Sierra.)
- Villainous Breakdown: Alejandro has a small one after getting voted off in "African Lying Safari", until he discovers that it was a reward challenge.