Calvin and Hobbes: The Abridged Series is a Recursive Fanfiction for Calvin and Hobbes: The Series, made by Blue Guy. As the name suggests, it's The Abridged Series... though it's not so much "Abridged" as it is "radically altered", with the first two chapters having quite a few differences. Rage Against the Author is a recurring theme here, as the deeply flawed author gets quite a lot of flak from the eponymous duo.
This fic provides examples of:
- The Abridged Series: A rare fanfic approach.
- Animated Actors: Calvin and Hobbes themselves.
- Blah Blah Blah: Used a lot by the narrator.
- Epunymous Title: Things start getting real in "Lights, Camera, Traction!" - there's a camera and traction.
- Lemony Narrator: The narrator, who is not a good person in any way.
- Painting the Medium: The in-story narrator is in italics, to prevent confusion with the actual narrator.
- In Chapter 2, when Calvin gets out of the fic and forces the narrator into it, the words get jumbled.
- Rage Against the Author: Again, a driving force behind the plot.
- Rouge Angles of Satin:Hobbes: Really? So what's with all the spelling errors and typos?
Wat the heck are you taking about? I sure as heck dont see any here!/ oh eait. darn it.
- Real World Episode: The end of Chapter 2 sees Calvin marching into the author's bedroom and promptly inverting the trope by forcing the author in the fic itself.
- Script Fic: The duo aren't happy with this styling.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Stated by name and inverted with Calvin.
- Played straight with the narrator.