Candace is a shy young woman who works as a seamstress andl lives in a small house with her grandmother and sister. Candace's life is changed when a new face moves to Waffle Town: a bright young farmer named "Angela". The two quickly become friends despite their clashing personalites. Candace feels awkward around her from the start but doesn't understand the reason behind her unease until she gets jealous of Chase when she sees him talking to Angela. Candace may know that she has feelings for her best friend, but she no idea what to do about it.
This fic provides examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Angela eventually begins calling Candace "Candy".
- Closet Key: Candace doesn't recognize her feelings for Angela until she remembers a similar jealousy she felt for a boy as a child.
- Gayngst: Done mildly with Candace who worries that her feelings for Angela are "weird". She's the only character depicted with this viewpoint so it might be her insecure nature at work.
- Imaginary Love Triangle: Candace gets jealous when she spots Chase and Angela being friendly. It turns out that Angela was asking Chase advice on how to make herbal tea for Candace.
- Love at First Sight: Candace's feeling for Angela first pop up when they meet, but Candace doesn't recognize them until later.
- Oblivious to Love: Candace doesn't recognize Angela's flirting until Angela outright kisses her.
- W.A.F.F.: Butterfly Nets is a fluffy romance fanfic about shy Cadance's requited feelings for her friend Angela.