Bonds Left Unbroken is an Alternate Universe Fic for Professor Layton written by FanFiction.Net author, The Mocking J, from January 2014May 2015. It diverges from canon right as Hershel is adopted by the Laytons.
Hershel is so distressed at leaving his older brother behind that the Laytons reconsider and decide to take in Desmond as well. So follows the relationship between the two brothers as they grow up together, with Desmond attempting to balance his thirst for revenge on Targent with his desire to protect the family he has left.
It can be read here.
Bonds Left Unbroken provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic: Starting when the Laytons decide to adopt Desmond as well.
- Big Bad: Targent.
- Big Brother Instinct: Desmond to Hershel.
- Bonus Material: There are two bonus episodes.
- Completed Fic
- Chekhov's Gunman: In passing conversation, it is stressed that Angelas brother has only gone missing, not died. It turns out that he joined up with Targent and is Ryan HerringAnnes father.
- Despair Event Horizon: Desmond crosses this after Mira and Anne are killed by Targent, triggering his transformation into Jean Descole.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Henry gets one in chapter 9.
- External Retcon: Targent is the shady organization that funded Bill Hawks' time machine.
- HeelFace Turn: Desmond gets one of these towards the end.
- Heel Realization: Raymonds death incites this in Descole.
- How Dare You Die on Me!: Descole to Raymond after the latter is fatally wounded, having been shot by Targent agents in a bid to protect his master.
- Iconic Item: Descole's mask, given to him by his daughter.
- I Knew There Was Something About You: Angela says this regarding the reveal of Descole being childhood friend Desmond Layton.
- Meaningful Echo: Bronevs use of sacrifices must be made for knowledge is first said in an early flashback to Desmonds childhood in relation to minor inconveniences. The next time Bronev is heard saying it, the phrase is used in relation to lives.
- Not So Different: Descole tries to pull this on Hershel several times.
- O.C. Stand-in: Mira and Anne.
- Out-of-Character Alert: Part of how Angela manages to determine that Henry is really Descole in disguiseDescole was unaware of the nature behind their marriage, and attempted to initiate romantic contact. Since their marriage was faked, this would have been extremely out of line for Henry.
- Perspective Flip: Told from Descole's point of view.
- Punny Name: Mira Sharpace.
- Shout-Out: To Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure. Desmond goes under the name Vergier on one occasion, with a fake French accent to boot.
- Show Within a Show: A storybook titled Desmond and Descole is noted as existing in-universe in earlier parts of this work, and even serves as an origin point for Descoles name. As we get to later chapters, they are all started with an excerpt from the storybook that ties into the actual story in the chapter itself.
- Social Services Does Not Exist: Desmond and Hershel live alone in a house after their biological parents are kidnapped by something that is practically a cult. A couple comes along and wants to adopt only one of themthe older one. Were they planning on leaving the younger child in the house alone? They do eventually end up adopting both, but the fact that this happened at all is ridiculous.
- So Proud of You: Roland gives one of these to Desmond, after being saved from Targent.Roland: Now, listen here, Desmond Layton. Its time you stopped regarding yourself as a curse on this family. No matter what you do, Ill always be proud to call you my son
- Taking the Bullet: Mira does this (literally) for Desmond.
- The Cameo: Clive appears briefly to tip Desmond off about some thugs.
- The Stations of the Canon: Despite a key change in the presence of Desmond, several crucial plot events still end up happening, such as Randall falling in Akbadain, and the death of Claire. Most of them are altered to at least some degree.
- Tranquil Fury: Hershel embodies this after Descole "kills" Emmy and Luke.
- Would Hurt a Child: Bronev actually kills six-year-old Anne by impaling her through the heart.