Bioshock: Right Place Right Time Wrong Guy is a fanfic written by C. Mage.
Something went awry when Jack was to make his scheduled trip to Rapture... and he didn't exactly survive the plane crash. Enter Mark, one of the passengers on the plane when it went down, who tries to save Jack from the crash before he dies from his injuries. Naturally the lighthouse is the only means of civilization in the middle of the ocean and Mark, having no choice, makes his his way inside and eventually find the bathysphere that leads him to Rapture. What follows is a re-telling of the events of the game, only with things going much more differently.
Has the following trope:
- A God I Am Not: Once Mark free Milton from his Big Daddy state and they go over how to deal with Ryan, Milton asks who will rule the city afterwards suggesting Mark do it. Mark quickly refuses as he wants nothing to do with Rapture but Milton explains that makes him the perfect candidate as, unlike Ryan, he's more concerned for the people of the city rather then trying to keep a hold on it and enforcing his ideals.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mark, mostly as a way to keep himself focused in the insanity of the underwater city.
- Death by Adaptation: Jack dies within the first few minutes of the story. Atlas/Fontaine likewise is killed in the middle of the story.
- Don't Look at Me!: Elizabeth was forced to use ADAM to survive Fontaine's assault on her and kept using more of it to keep the damage at bay. When Mark finally meets her in person, the effects have pretty much deformed half her face and she tries to keep him from seeing her like that. It's only thanks to talking to "Booker" (or her imaginary version of him) that kept her sanity in check until she was able to get in contact with Mark.
- Faking the Dead: Done twice during the Cohen chapters First by Rodrigez where it looks like Mark had poisoned him. In reality it was a seltizer tablet to make it look as such. And later does this with Elizabeth by using the body that was killed in that dimension (long story, check out Burial at Sea on that) to make it look like Mark had killed her to appease Cohen's demands.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Mark mentions he studied to be an engineer and was headed to Europe for a job when the plane went down. It's thanks to this that he even reached Rapture in the first place when he jury-rigged the bathysphere as opposed to the genetic code Jack had which activated the bathysphere and come quite in handy as he makes his way through the city.
- Healing Hands: As in the game, Tenaubaum gives Mark a plasmid that'll remove the slug out of the Little Sisters and restore them to normal. Later in the story, she finds out that it managed to bond with his genetic code, meaning he can now use it to heal anyone affected by ADAM which he starts with by restoring Elizabeth.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: While the story plays out scenes from the games, it assumes you're already familiar with the series to know these characters and events. So fair warning reading this if you haven't.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Fontaine's final words as Ryan's torpedoes close in on him.
- Fontaine: BASTARD! YOU FUCKING WHOREMONGERING...!
- Outgambitted: Mark pulls this on Atlas/Fontaine by tinkering with his submarine before he meets the man himself. When Fontaine tries to get away , he finds that Mark messed with the signal so Ryan's torpedoes would home in on him instantly and likewise broke the subs controls to prevent him from getting any further.
- Resist the Beast: Mark naturally is forced to use ADAM and plasmids in order to survive, but constantly finds himself fighting the temptation to keep using more of it and becoming insane like the splicers.
- Spared by the Adaptation:
- Langford survives Ryan's gassing thanks to Mark getting her out of the lab in time. Elizabeth also survives her initial meeting with Fontaine.
- Rodriguez, one of Cohen's disciples, likewise is spared as Mark notes a plan for him on a napkin. He sane enough to read it and plays along with Mark to fake his death.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Once Mark gains the means to cure people of ADAM, he starts enforcing this rule and going out of his way to save as many of the citizens as he can with death only used as a last resort.