Spike is a dragon, raised by ponies. Sometimes, though, he does dragonish things, like keep a secret hoard, in a pony sort of way. But it goes the other way as well - sometimes, he deals with being a pony (and, thus, a person) via the lens of a dragon.
The story can be found here.
- Call-Back: Spike still has the diamond that Rarity gave him in A Dog and Pony Show.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Rarity is dating Big Mac, rendering her even more unattainable to Spike. The story is about him dealing with this fact.
- Dragon Hoard: Spike has a secret, albeit very small one. Every gem in his hoard has a special meaning to him. It is too small for him to sleep on, though.
- Furry Reminder: Spike keeps a small, secret hoard of gems that he doesn't tell anyone else about, and sometimes likes to hold them against himself.
- Hopeless Suitor: Spike, towards Rarity. The story is about him dealing with his feelings towards this, and his knowledge of it.
- It Was a Gift: The diamond Rarity gave Spike.
- Precocious Crush: Spike has one on Rarity, and is coming to grips with such, as well as his jealousy towards Big Mac.
- Symbolism: Spike's hoard is symbolic in nature, representing the ponies who mean the most to him. Including Rarity's new lover.