A My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan fiction by Typewriter Error.
Celestia wakes up in human form and at an insane asylum where similarities between the world she is in now and the world of Equestria cause her to wonder if Equestria even exists or if she simply made it up to escape her human life. Does she try to hold on to her memories of her Canterlot life or does she let them go and accept them as nothing more than stories? Who is she going to trust? Who is she anyway?
This is only the beginning...
Read it here.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Alternate Universe: Celestia initially assumes this is the place she's waken up in, one created by Discord. And then there's the final one at the end, which may or may not be new, or finished...
- Armor-Piercing Question: "What is your name?" Is it Princess Celestia, or Celeste Marlowe?
- Dark and Troubled Past: This version of Celestia has an even darker backstory even in the Equestria reality, and a lot more guilt. She's responsible for turning Luna into Nightmare Moon, due to trying to magically induce jealousy over Sombra, and her secret desire to be the sole Queen of Equestria. Even her human identity has it rough, though, what with most of her family dying tragically.
- Gainax Ending: Celeste Marlowe wakes up in another apparent hospital room with sudden memories of having a husband, but her family may or may not still be dead, there's no sign of Discord, Twilight, Chrysalis, or Sombra (if he's not in fact her husband), and she's locked in a total identity crisis with only the promise that her lover will be there soon. Maybe.
- Hearing Voices / Talking to Themself: Hallucinations of King Sombra appear, offering a Deal with the Devil and mocking Celestia/Celeste.
- I Am Who?
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Perhaps... Discord seems to suggest that they were trying to help her make up her mind who to be, one way or the other.
- Mad Doctor: Celestia can only assume Dr. Creubal is Discord, and thus doing this as part of some twisted scheme.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane
- Mind Screw: Big time.
- Ontological Mystery: Kind of.
- The Presents Were Never from Santa: Sarah had been secretly slipping Celeste paper so she could write the notes to herself, thus explaining how they seemed to show up with no reason. Double Subverted when it turns out Twilight, at least, had really been writing to her.
- Punny Name: Sarah Creubal. S. Creubal = Screwball.
- Security Blanket: Celeste's baseball.
- Sequel Hook: As the the description says, this is just the beginning of the series. A full explanation is promised to be forthcoming.