Ash's Coma is a popular fan theory based on the Pokémon anime. In this alternate take on the first episodes of the series, Ash is actually stricken by lightning by Pikachu, and is placed into a coma which lasts (at most) to the Sun and Moon series. The theory can be viewed here.
This theory provides examples of:
- Adventures In Coma Land: The basic premise.
- All Just a Dream: That was caused because of Ash getting electrocuted in the first episodes of the anime.
- Alternate Ending: According to the theory, there are two possible outcomes: either Ash wakes up from his coma-induced delusions and dies, or he wakes up, survives, and sets out to become the Pokémon master he envisioned himself to be in his dream.
- Ambiguously Bi: While Ash allegedly had feelings for Misty prior to his coma, he also was exploring his sexuality through the character of James.
- Cerebus Retcon: The theory tries to explain away several of the plot points in the original anime. Other than the reason as to why Ash doesn't seem to physically age, the theory explains that the various incarnations of Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny are there because Ash feels safe when they're around, or that the reason as to why there would be new traveling companions throughout the series is because Ash had never understood the concept behind attraction.
- Dark Fic: Considering that it's inferring that it's all a dream, it is expected.
- Demonization: Ash does this to his father, placing him as being the evil boss over Team Rocket.
- Dying Dream: One plausible ending to the theory implicates that the whole show is actually one.
- Loving a Shadow: He had seen Misty prior to getting into the coma, but he didn't know her personally.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: The theory posits that Giovanni is actually Ash's father. After getting rendered into a coma, Ash envisioned his father as being the head of a crime organization known as Team Rocket.
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: Because of being placed into a coma, Ash's mind doesn't physically age, thus making him appear as a ten-year-old throughout the duration of the anime.
- Outliving One's Offspring: Happens to Delia Ketchum given if Ash were to die shortly after waking up from his coma.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Ash exploits this. According to the theory, Ash is well aware of Team Rocket's many disguises, but plays along anyway for the sake of bettering himself.
- Reality Ensues: Unlike the many times in the show where Ash is struck by Pikachu's electricity, this fan theory insinuates that it was more severe.
- A Wizard Did It: There's something weird going on in your coma-induced fantasies? Must be Pokémon.