"Yeah, so mom we made it to New Jersey, and we're all safe...but the Heartstone isn't really... impressive. So, we're bringing what we found home. See you soon!" In which Arcadia welcomes back it's underground citizens...eventually!
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Claire is mistakenly thought of being NotEnrique's teen mom by Bill Miller as he is threatening her.
- All Part of the Show: When the conventioneer dressed as Ryuk assaults Jim, trying to rip his horns off, Jim loses his temper and throws him into the crowd, complete with an animalistic roar, only for the crowd to cheer harder in response.
- Ambiguously Evil: It turns out that Merlin was the reason Morgana turned evil in the first place, having cut off her hand while she slept unprovoked to forge the Amulet, forced her brother Arthur into the role of king and hero similar to Jim. It is even implied that he raped her one night, leading to her divorcing him. Since their marriage was based around Troll-based traditions involving soul magic, the ritual used to divorce them left both of them unable to feel love, compassion, joy, etc. When Claire tells Merlin that she was told not to trust him by Morgana, he does nothing to deny being any more trustworthy than Morgana.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: During his time at the precinct after being arrested, Jim's half-troll biology is given more elaboration. He has no discernible fingerprints, and his urine sample was so bizarre that the medical professional thinks that he was either pranking them or was in need of immediate medical attention.Nurse: He needs to go to the hospital, ASAP. His sample shows an extreme level of RBC and WBC count, all sorts of weird bacteria and crystals...the crystal count is amazing. Your kidneys must just be stones at this point. but his pH is his urine is basically battery acid. It ate through the cup!
Jim: I'm not exactly normal, anatomically speaking. I'm probably fine.
Nurse: This pH balance is not normal, Mr. Lake! If it was a little lower, I might feel a little better, but it still would mean your kidneys weren't working I have no idea what this means!
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: One conventioneer could tell that Jim and Claire are not staying in a hotel and try to bribe them with paying for a night at a hotel and dinner if Jim drops out of the costume contest.
- Bullying a Dragon: Shamus seems like it would be funny to repeatedly click his pen through Ms. Janeth's class deliberately to annoy Jim (who is now a mildly ill-tempered half-troll that could easily break his limbs if he wanted too) after Jim makes it clear that it irritated him in Senor Uhl's class.
- Calling the Old Man Out: When the truck gets to a wreck, leading to Claire getting severely injured, Merlin off-handedly says remarks that accidents like this is why he wore his armor, clearly uninvested in the situation. This leads to a hysterical to snap at Merlin, actually leading him to apologize, the severity of the situation finally setting in.Merlin was twisting his spine. "And it was for this reason I wore my armor." He said a bit haughtily.
"Shut your goddamn mouth!" Jim shouted, a roar carrying his voice through the trees. "Why can't you just be helpful for once!?"
The wizard blinked once, not expecting this kind of outburst from Jim. "My apologies."
- Comically Missing the Point: When Steve inadvertently breaks Jim's glamour mask and sees Jim's true form, he becomes upset. Not because he felt bad for backing Jim into a corner after everything that has happened, but because Jim's new form is very big and strong and could have won their school's football game against Arcadia Oaks Academy. The same sentiment is shared with Coach Lawrence who, after Jim decides to got to school without his disguise on, outright demands that he joins the team.
- Con Man: Bill Miller offered to buy the Heartstone with the hope of adding it to his collection. When Claire refuses, he threatens to make the authorities think they stole it from him, only for the actual owners of the calcite he claims were stolen to show up and out him as the thief.
- Contrived Coincidence: While Claire and Merlin have breakfast, a police officer goes up to Jim in the car and tell him that a large calcite stone was stolen from a nearby Mineral Museum, becoming suspicious of Jim when he sees the Heartstone, leading to his arrest.
- Drugs Are Bad: Since trolls mainly subsist on non-organic materials (plastics, metals, glass, etc), Jim usually digs through the recycling bin for his lunch. What he did not know on his second day was that his father James had a brick (1 kilogram of cocaine) in a black plastic box hidden in the recycling bin. Jim ends up eating all of it, going on a rampage. By the time his friends find him and take him to the hospital, he is unconscious, having vomited most of the drugs out of his system and suffering serious burns from sun exposure.
- For Halloween, I Am Going as Myself: As Claire and Jim find him new clothes to wear (Jim having finally removed his armor), he and Claire are confused for conventioneers at a Horror Convention in the town nearby. They join the costume contest there and win enough prize money to buy a night in a hotel and a used pick-up truck to transport the Heartstone faster.
- When Miss Janeth gets a good look at Jim's new troll-form, all she can think about is how perfect it would be if he could play the Beast in the school's rendition of Beauty and the Beast.
- Frame-Up: Of a sort. When Claire and Merlin make it to the police station, they meet Bill Miller, the alleged executive director of the Harrisburg Mineral Museum. When he learns of the Heartstone, he tries to buy it off of them to replace the calcite that was stolen (which is the very crime Jim was being arrested for under suspicion). When they turn down his offer, he threatens to tell the police that the Heartstone is the stolen calcite and falsely send Jim to prison.
- Hate Sink: Since the moment Jim's father James Sr. arrived back into their lives, there has not been one redeeming thing about him. The only reason he came back to Arcadia is because he got into a bad situation for selling drugs. Since his name is the mortgage, Barbara is unable to kick him out. He refuses to really acknowledge his son because he is no longer human, and Jim has every right to hate him not only because of his actions in the past, but because he has also been manhandling Barbara. Even worse, he has been trying to continue his drug-dealing while he was still there, having hid a brick of cocain in the recycling bin for Jim to accidentally eat.
- Leave No Witnesses: Invoked. When Jim explains to Blinky how they were spotted by teenagers that thought they were conventioneers at a local Horror Convention, Blinky is quick to ask he killed them, only for a bemused Jim to affirm that he didn't.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Subverted. Using the glamour mask, Jim is able to look like his old human self and attend school. Since this is an illusion and Jim still has his troll-body beneath it, it does not go unnoticed when Jim beats every other student during the physical exams.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: It turns out that Morgana Le Fay only did everything she did because Merlin forced her brother Arthur into the role of hero much like with Jim and then cut of her hand against her will to make the Amulet after Arthur died, Gunmar her way of getting revenge. After being able to calm down in the Shadow Realm, she offers Claire an opportunity to learn magic and warns her to be wary of Merlin.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: At some point in-between Jim and Claire leaving for New Jersey and Jim coming back for his first day of school, Steve and Eli have been formally introduced to AAARRRGGHH!!! and AAARRRGGHH!!! has been playing night-football at the stadium.
- Shout-Out: Claire tells Jim that wearing his armor would increase his chances of winning the costume contest, saying that it is "super Tron". Jim then remarks that she is right, not wanting a "Spongebob moment up on stage."
- Your Costume Needs Work: One random conventioneer dressed as Ryuk nitpicks how "troll knights" are not a thing in pop culture when he sees Jim's "costume."