While investigating the mining world Krawna after a Space Pirate attack, Samus comes across a little girl named Ayame Miyamoto, the only survivor of the attack. Sympathizing with the child, Samus takes her in.
Ten years later, when Samus is taken captive by Ridley's forces in exchange for Ayame's life during a mission, Ayame takes it upon herself to track the Pirates down and save Samus.
This fic contains examples of the following tropes (Beware of unmarked spoilers):
- Accidental Pervert: How we're first introduced to Ayame's friend Connor in chapter 1: he crashes into Ayame and ends up with his face in her chest when they hit the ground. Ayame promptly smacks him for it, but quickly mellows out when she recognizes him.
- Blood from the Mouth: A tail strike to the gut from Ridley causes this to Ayame in chapter 4.
- Calling Parents by Their Name: Samus mentions in chapter 1 that Ayame only addresses her as "Mom" when she's upset.
- *Click* Hello: Ayame first meets Samus when she shoots at her with a handgun out of fear.
- Crazy-Prepared: Anthony mentions in chapter 6 that Samus has specialized facilities constructed in secret all over the galaxy for her to restock, and even had one built in secret for Ayame, complete with an exact replica of the Power Suit built just for her.
- Deadpan Snarker: Gear, Samus's ship-board A.I. This line from chapter 6 stands out:"If you do not enter the admission code, you shall be terminated. Unsurprisingly, it is a very unpleasant way to die."
- Despair Event Horizon: Ayame comes close to crossing it in chapter 5 after Samus' capture, declaring herself to be a "pathetic, worthless creature that doesn't even deserve to exist." Fortunately, Anthony shows up and stops her before she drops to that point.
- Dying Race: Of a sort. Ayame is Japanese, which, according to Samus in the prologue, is "a rare sight nowadays."
- Generation Xerox: Ayame is this for Samus to a degree. Both lost their parents and hometowns to the Space Pirates (though Ayame was six while Samus was only three), and after taking her in, Samus personally trained Ayame and taught her everything she knows.
- Have We Met?: Ridley notes that Ayame looks familiar when he meets her in chapter 4.
- Time Skip: Ten years pass between the prologue and the first chapter.
- Training from Hell: Hinted at in chapter 1, when Ayame mentions in the narration that Samus "isn't exactly gentle" when training.