A sheltered heiress to a multi-million dollar business empire decides to break free from the chains of her heritage, no matter the cost. Years later, a motherless little boy tries to repair the damage caused by his mother's actions.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Bad Boss: It is implied that Whitney is physically abusive to her own staff, her personal maid possessing permanent physical scars.Blue: I don't care what you do to your staff, but Pink's been punished enough!
- Bratty Half-Pint: When she was little, Pink had a bad habit of making trouble. Examples include throwing a ball through the kitchen window, almost drowning the neighbor's dog by accident and covering the entirety of her room - including herself - in glue and glitter.
- Bourgeois Bohemian: Unlike the rest of her family, Pink had aspirations of joining the arts (singing mostly) and had various negative things to say about her family's company, both in how it exploits its workers and how much it damages the environment. When it was made clear that her parents and grandmother did not care whether she wanted to join the family business or not, she ended up running away with Pearl, faking her own death and became active protester Rose.
- Distinguishing Mark: Much like his mother, Steven possesses a facetted birthmark over his belly-button. This is what convinces Blue and Yellow that he actually is their grandson and that Pink was not murdered by Rose.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Yellow hates it when someone uses her birthname (Yelena).
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: The Diamandis Corporation specializes in the harvesting, refinement and sale of minerals - specifically diamonds - and Yellow and Blue wear diamond necklaces placed over where their canon counterparts keep their gems.
- Evil, Inc.: The Diamandis Company's ethics are squarely in the red, their mining operation being frightfully unsafe environmentally and involves exploiting its workers to the point of various protests and acts of eco-terrorism is done against them. Since Blue and Yellow are a Hanging Judge and Corrupt Corporate Executive respectively, going up against them in any way is either a suicide mission or risk of life in prison.
- Evil Matriarch: Whitney Diamandis seems to hold the most say over both the company and her family, punishing Pink for insolence that Blue thinks is too extreme.Blue: You have to let her out already! It's been long enough!
Whitney: Pink stays there until she has learned her lesson.
Blue: I can't let this go on!
Whitney: Are you talking back to me, Blue? Don't you forget where all of this came from. Your precious daughter wouldn't exist if I hadn't allowed it. Oh, dear. Where would you be without me? Remember your place.
- Family Business: The Diamandis Corporation was founded by Whitney "White" Diamandis, her daughter and daughter-in-law Yellow and Blue joined it and it was expected of Pink to join them as well.
- Family Theme Naming: The Diamandis Family likes to color-code their names. Blue and Pink are their actual names, while Yelena prefers to be called Yellow, her mother Whitney referred to as "White" appropriately enough. This trend is broken with Steven.
- Faux Affably Evil: Whitney speaks in a calm, elegant manner, but there's clearly a lot of malice buried beneath her smile.
- Love Is a Weakness: It seems to be Whiteny's philosophy in life as an Iron Lady and Evil Matriarch.Whitney: You and Yelena are the same. Lionesses for your own flesh and blood, letting our reputation come second. What a mess!
- Rich Kids: Being born in an extremely rich family, Pink has a bad habit of being reckless (like having been in more than one car-wreck when she drives) with her status and fortune keeping her afloat (Yellow having bribed the DMV to giver her her license). Given how aloof her family can be, Pearl keeps her from being an absolute Lonely Rich Kid.
- Scullery Maid: Pearl was a product of the Foster Care system and was abused by her foster parents, given raggedy clothes, little food and left alone in public places for hours at a time (at an age where that is not okay) before she developed an unlikely friendship with Pink, becoming her personal maid.
- Truth in Television: The real-life diamond industry has a history of abusing its workers and being a detriment to the environment, something the Diamandis Company is typical for doing.
- Turn Out Like His Father: It is implied that Yellow's aloof demeanor was something she got from her mother Whitney, but whereas Whitney appears to be apathetic by nature, Yellow had a harder time balancing her work life and trying to spend time with Pink.