The two childhood friends decide to marry one another for the their children's sake: In case one of them dies, the other will become the guardian of all the kids. It soon becomes apparent that this isn't just a marriage in-name-only.
The writer of the story, dodgingbullets, hadn't actually seen any of Raven's Home when they wrote the story, so there are some differences from canon, but it is predominantly accurate.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: Raven gets a vision that she needs a high-risk surgery and won't survive if she doesn't get the surgery. This causes her to marry Chelsea to make sure her kids are alright without her, all while the issue of her own mortality weighs upon her. As it turns out, Chelsea is the one who needs the surgery, which switches one Adult Fear for another.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Chelsea and Raven have been friends since they were little kids. They end up becoming each other's Second Loves after they both divorce their husbands.
- Death by Adaptation: Raven's mother is dead. In Raven's Home, it's mentioned that she's alive.
- Disabled in the Adaptation: It's mentioned that Raven's dad has lost one of his hands.
- Has Two Mommies: Raven and Chelsea stop being Honorary Aunts to each others kids and become this.
- The Lost Lenore:
- Victor lost his wife in the same car accident that he lost his hand. He's still haunted by the loss.
- Subverted with Raven. Raven worries that she'll be this way with Chelsea, but Chelsea survives her surgery.
- Slash Fic: The story takes any subtext out of Raven and Chelsea's relationship and upgrades them into a straight-up couple.
- There Is Only One Bed: Raven begins to notice her changing affections for Chelsea when their kids convince them to share a room together. They share a bed until Chelsea can get a new bed.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: Raven comments on how attractive Chelsea's eyes are.