Taking a cue from other fanfics like Ultimate Power Rangers, All-Star Power Rangers is an Alternate Universe Fic of Power Rangers that takes cues from every adaptation of the titular rangers (along with some Super Sentai mixed in there) to create one giant Ultimate Universe. The story is written by Officially Fuzzy and can be viewed here.
The intention of the story is (supposedly) an attempt to try and streamline much of the expansive lore and characters of the franchise in order to deliver a more satisfying experience for both older fans and for newer audiences, after feeling the series failed to do so for years.
The story began its first Story Arc with its first chapter releasing on March 25th, 2021, which covers the introduction of the first team of rangers (Jason, Trini, Zack, Kimberly, and Billy), Zordon and his war on evil, Rita Repulsa and her intentions to conquer the planet, and establishing the Morphin Grid itself.
All-Star Power Rangers provides examples of:
- Action Prologue: The very first scene of the story opens with Geki jumping between rooftops, delivering some sort of cargo, only to get attacked by Goldar and force a duel between them.
- Adaptation Expansion: The story greatly expands on the original origins of the Mighty Morphin team, dedicating an entire Story Arc just to exploring it.
- Adaptation Relationship Overhaul: The original series started out with the Mighty Morphin already all being close friends. Here, Jason's only friends with Trini and Kimberly has never met any of them.
- Adaptation Title Change: All-Star Power Rangers!
- Alternate Universe Fic: Of the Power Rangers franchise, restarting the timeline to the beginning of Mighty Morphin, though in a modern setting.
- Battle Discretion Shot: We never see the battle between Geki and Goldar, the fight cutting away just before it happens. All we know is that ultimately, Geki lost and was kidnapped.
- Canon Foreigner: Basically every character from Super Sentai, as them getting brought over already is inherently unique to the original canon.
- Challenging the Bully: Jason stands up for Billy while Bulk is picking on him. Unexpectedly, Bulk turns down any attempt at a fight, believing it's not worth it since Jason's gone "soft" anyway, and instead simply mocks him alongside Skull.
- Darker and Edgier:
- Downplayed though present. Compared to the main series, which is largely kid-friendly in terms of what stories it tackles and how it handles them, All-Star Power Rangers is considerably darker, being more willing to take risks and handle subjects the show would have likely not done.
- Zig-zagged when compared to the official comic books, however, as it has largely stayed true to its tone, though seems to be deviating in key areas when compared to it.
- The original tagline for the series was, "Teenagers with attitude". Here, compared to the relatively squeaky clean, all-around friendly versions presented in the original show, the main cast here is dealing with high school drama, issues with their families, and a lot of angst. Meaning they're...You know, "teenagers with attitude".
- Decoy Protagonist: Despite the story opening on Geki, the story is truly about Jason.
- Dream Sequence: Jason ends up having a pretty terrifying one after falling asleep holding one of the powercoins, where he's attacked by monsters before getting seemingly eaten by a T-rex. Then he wakes up and realizes he turned into the Tyranno Ranger.
- Establishing Character Moment: The entire first issue serves as one long one for Jason, setting up how awkward, lonely, miserable, and angry he is at how everybody sees him.
- When Trini invites Jason to her party, she's shown to be friendly and caring, yet also very wise and blunt, befitting her nature as The Heart.
- Billy is introduced getting called up for a special reason by the teacher, before then getting picked on by a pair of bullies in his next scene, showing him as both very intelligent, and very weak.
- Bulk & Skull are introduced mocking and picking on Billy, but never actually throw a punch, and the second they're caught by the principal, start trying to squirm out of trouble. So, while they're bullies, they're not exactly good at it.
- Freak Out: What happens the second Jason wakes up and discovers he's become a superhero? Freak out of course!
- Modern AU Fic: The original series began in the early 90s (and it shows). Here, the story begins at some point in the modern-day.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: While it clearly is taking the brunt of its inspiration from the tv show proper, in terms of tone and presentation, the story is actually considerably more comparable to the comic books of the same name.
- Setting Update: The original series began in a small town in the early 90s. Here, Angel Grove is a city, and the setting is very overtly taking place in the 2020s.
- Ultimate Universe: One for the Power Rangers brand, adaptations bit and pieces from the tv shows, video games, comic books, and more, while also taking some cues from Super Sentai.