A great opportunity has come for Rarity! She's been invited to showcase some of her finest work at the Equestrian Agriculture Conference and Exhibition! Unfortunately, she doesn't have a CLUE what might appeal to its patrons, and she's only got two weeks to prepare ! How fortunate, then, that her dear friend Applejack happens to be one of those no-nonsense, closer to earth types; why, she can just consult her! And after all, attending the EACE could prove a big break for Sweet Apple Acres, wouldn't it?
But while giving her friend a simple little makeover and touch-up, Rarity learns something about her friend that she never would've expected. After all, how could she have ever guessed the dedicated farmpony had ever been to Manehattan ?!
A Fanfic for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic set after the Grand Galloping Gala, Ah Ain't Got no Ack-cent! takes advantage of the fact that only the Cutie Mark Crusaders heard everyone's tales about how they got their Cutie Marks to speculate on how Rarity might react upon learning Applejack had a 'fancy phase'. A fun little story with a strong Original Flavor that could easily pass as an actual episode.
This My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fanfic contains examples of:
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Applejack's so horrified at the thought of having to Maintain the Lie for three days that she gets down on her knees and begs Rarity to come up with some other solution.
- Alliterative Name: Mister Mango Marmalade, Rarity's contact and way into the EACE.
- Be Yourself:She looked up in the sky, as she took a deep breath and sighed. Ah just cain't help but feel that this whole high-class thing... is bein' dishonest with mahself.
"Besides." the grey pony continued. "There's nothing wrong with bein' honest with yourself!"
- Big Eater: Pinkie Pie:"Back on the farm, before she got her cutie mark, Pinkie barely ate four muffins a day. Afterwards however, she couldn't seem to get enough food in her! It's one of the reasons she moved away."
- Chekhov's Gun: One of the apple fritters that Applejack brings over for Sweetie Belle is given to Mister Marmalade.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Chekhov's Gunmare: Sharp-eyed fans of the series may realize the significance of the gray and blue ponies who mention the family rock farm and their "Sissy-pie" before they drop their names and it dawns on Applejack.
- Confusing Multiple Negatives: When Rarity comments on Applejack's "accent", Applejack retorts "Ah ain't don't got no gosh-darn accent!". Rarity was about to comment on the impressive use of the triple negative when Mister Marmalade arrived.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: Multiple:
- Applejack hadn't meant to start speaking like that in front of Rarity
- Or to slip back into her normal speech pattern when Inkie and Maggie visited her stand
- Fascinating Eyebrow: When their Pinkie Sense activates, and Inkie's is late:"Why-y-y-y-y-y are-e-e yo-u a-a-a-al-wa-a-a-ays so la-a-a-ate?" Maggie questioned her sister, managing to raise an eyebrow through her shaking.
- Flock of Wolves: Everypony - except Rarity - at the EACE is hiding their southern ack-cent, for the exact same reason as Applejack.
- Funetik Aksent: Applejack's normal accent is written like this, to further emphasize the difference between it and the City Mouse manner of speaking she picked up in Manehatten.
- Grammar Nazi: Grammar Nightmare: Rarity becomes one while teaching Applejack how to keep up her fancy accent. Which dovetails nicely into irony.
- Irony: "Just because it's being held in a center of agriculture industry, does NOT mean the ponies there will all speak as plainly, as you do."
- It Runs in the Family: As it turns out, Pinkie, both of her sisters, and their mother all possess Pinkie Sense. Mr. Pie is the only family member who doesn't.
- Jaw Drop: Rarity's reaction upon hearing Applejack not only drop her accent, but start speaking like a cultured Manehattenite. Much later, Applejack's reaction when her dropping the accent results in cheering.
- Large Ham: Multiple:
- Rarity really amps up her tendency towards melodrama in this one...
- Mister Mango Marmalade has a way of Chewing the Scenery as well.
- Maintain the Lie: After Rarity ropes her into using her 'city-folk accent' when first meeting Marmalade, Applejack finds herself forced to keep it up for fear they'll get kicked out.
- Mood-Swinger: Rarity does more than her fair share of this, going from wailing over her plight to a cheery "Coooo-miiiiing~" the moment someone knocks on her door. Not that she thinks Applejack doesn't, either.
- Mundane Utility: Rarity has no problem having Applejack wear her Element Of Generosity as a simple necklace.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Applejack does this a few times, but the first is when she accidentally lapses into her Manehatten accent in front of Rarity, then sees her reaction.
- And then when Mr. Mango Marmalade asks her to give the EACE opening speech.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Applejack becomes terrified of this. She wasn't the only one feeling this way, either.
- Punny Name: In keeping with the usual town names in the series, the EACE is being held in Yokelahoma City.
- Pygmalion Snap Back: And Applejack is glad for it, as are the other EACE attendees who had been putting on airs for the sake of appearances.
- Rage-Breaking Point: Applejack is asked to give the EACE's opening speech, and in her personal introduction, she mentions Sweet Apple Acre's tradition of down-to-earth, hard, honest work. Guess which word finally makes her frustrations with the deception boil over and gets her ranting on-stage.
- Rule of Three: It turns out Applejack was actually the third stand Inkie and Maggie visited where somebody's accent slipped.
- The EACE also runs for three full days, much to Applejack's dismay once she realizes she'll be expected to keep up the fancy-talk act the whole time.
- Running Gag: Applejack denies having an accent when Rarity points it out.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Mango Marmalade's speech tends towards this.
- Southern Belle: The dress Rarity designs for Applejack to wear at the EACE is in this style.
- The accent Apple Bloom attempts to show she's capable of 'fancy-talking' too is... somewhat in this style.
- Suddenly Shouting: In the middle of Applejack's opening speech, she finally can't stand the lie any longer, and devolves into a full tirade about how her country accent and her honest, hands-on farm work at Sweet Apple Acres is the real her.Applejack: I'm sorry, sugarcube. BUT AH CAIN'T KEEP THIS HAY-STACKIN' ACT UP ANYMORE!
- Supreme Chef: One taste of Applejack's fritters immediately convinces Mister Marmalade that she deserves a place at the EACE as well.
- Title Drop: As the title states, Applejack doesn't realize she even has an accent, and says as much several times.
- Vot Ocksent?: Applejack's reaction when Rarity mentions it.
- Wham Line: "HOOOOOOOOOOOOO-WHEE!!!"
- Mister Mango Marmalade: "Eeeeeeee-yup." His only spoken word in the entire final scene, and he drawls just like Big Macintosh.
- Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises: Rarity, upon hearing Applejack go from farmer's drawl to cultured city accent out of nowhere. And again when Applejack can't take it any more and starts belting out her country accent in the middle of her opening speech.