Against All Odds is a Russian-language Neon Genesis Evangelion fanfic written by Agronom and set in far future after the events of End of Evangelion.
The plot deals with the UN soldier Shinji Ikari trying to survive the war with Angels, waged between stars.
The story can be found here.
Against All Odds contains examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Many of them:
- Shinji Ikari and Asuka are experienced soldiers and were drivers of the BMs (presumably, stands for the Battle Mechs) even before becoming pilots of the Evangelions.
- Toji was a rebel soldier, who lead a squad, which has managed to nearly-destroy Asuka's squad of BMs.
- Mataraels are now very dangerous beam spammers, who can swat fliers and BMs alike with their multitude of fast-tracking optic cannons (which have replaced the acid glands) like no tomorrow, and are a great problem even for the Evangelions.
- Araels trade their signature Mind Rape beam for a more conventional energy beam cannon, capable of crippling Evangelion in a single well-placed shot.
- Sandalphons/Leliels, should enough of them gather in one place, can project AT Field of sufficient power to No-Sell a "Black Sun" positron cannon.
- Adaptational Villainy: Kaworu Nagisa. If his claims to be believed, back in the 2015, he suffered from the case of accidental HeelFace Brainwashing because of Armisael, who erroneously transferred part of Rei's feelings towards Shinji to Kaworu.
- Adaptation Species Change:
- Arrow Catch: Rei, in Eva-05, manages to catch the Spear of Longinus by grabbing it between its prongs. Even Keel is impressed.
- Bittersweet Ending: Shinji, Asuka, Toji and a lot of other people are dead, the Venus, Earth and Moon are destroyed, but the humanity has survived, SEELE is eliminated and the Adam is burned on the Sun, while Lilith got blown up on the Moon, preventing any Instrumentality plans from ever coming up again. Also, Rei is alive and has children.
- Brain Uploading: How SEELE committee survives to the times of the fic.
- Cool Starship: NERV's Tokyo-3, a third-generation flagship (other known flagships of this gen are Moscow-3 and Berlin-3) and SEELE's Omen. In the epilogue, the Tokyo-4 is mentioned.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Eva-05 has a mostly-dark paintjob, along with grey wings, and even gets noted to look like a fallen angel from old paintings, but the pilot of it holds nothing but good intentions towards humanity.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Standard tactic of NERV for denying planets to Angels. Asuka performs a literal one, when she drags her Unit-02 to the Lilith in the underground part of the NERV's Moon base and activates self-destruct.
- Irony: When Tokyo-3 and heavy Ramiel trade their shots, the beams, much like in the anime, deviate from their intended paths, which results in the positron beam of the Tokyo-3 "Black Sun" destroying asteroid, which served as a cover for the ships of NERV, alongside with them, while the Ramiel's beam wipes out squadron of Sahaquiels, which were closing in to attack Tokyo-3.
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Keel Lorenz, when his Eva gets finally destroyed by the Eva-05.
- Super Prototype: Eva-05, built around the core, which was extracted from the destroyed Ramiel.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: During the assault on the NERV's Moon base, SEELE uses 160 Mass Production Evangelions. Even then, Asuka, along with a small squad of MP Evas of her own and the base's auto-defence systems, manages to survive the attack and defeat the forces of SEELE.
- Wave-Motion Gun: "Black Sun" positron cannon, installed on the Tokyo-3. The sheer energy hunger of it can only be sated with an S2 engine such as an unusual six-pronged core, cut from the Ramiel, which can also be controlled by computer, but it can blow up entire planets with a single shot.