A Splintered Man is a series of Alternate History crossovers between 1983: Doomsday and Axis Powers Hetalia. The series follows the adventures of Marcus Wright, a young diplomat who travels to the Alpine Confederation at the request of Austria (aka Roderich Edelstein). His visit sets off a chain of events that causes him to question who or what, he really is.
The series has continued to a second story arc called Flowers for Balaton, which goes into deeper and darker territory as Marcus struggles to keep himself sane and protect his family and friends from his more sinister side...
Tropes that are present in the series:
- Afterthe End: The stories are set in early 2015, nearly 32 years after Doomsday
- Alas, Poor Villain: Roza's insanity is later justified, albeit dubiously...
- All Just a Dream: Somewhat averted when it comes to Marcus's encounters with Hungary and Maximilian
- Alternate History
- Antiquated Linguistics: Marcus uses a more upper class accent when speaking both German and English (Prussian dialect and Received Pronunciation respectively)
- Backfromthe Dead: Hungary uses her undead form to awaken Marcus, with predictable results...
- Covert Pervert: Lina in Chapter 4
- Darker and Edgier: Used quite liberally throughout the second story arc.
- During the War: One scene takes place in The Western Front of WWI, while later scenes take place during The Hungarian Revolution, and even Doomsday itself
- Fashion Dissonance: Marcus wears what could be seen as a 'Greaser' outfit, with a leather jacket to boot.
- Fate Worse than Death: Actually used by Roza at the end of Chapter 10
- From Bad to Worse: Roza's capture and eventual painful death at the hands of Russia in Chapter 9
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: There's a decent amount of untranslated swearing in some of the Chapters.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Lots of German, with some Hungarian, Afrikaans, Cornish and later Irish here-and-there.
- Handguns: Marcus owns an antique Luger Pistol and ends up pointing it at Hungary
- Humanoid Abomination: Marcus has some age old links to the Nations specifically Germany, Prussia and Hungary
- I See Dead People: Marcus's late-night encounter with Hungary
- Original Character: The Survivor Nations, Marcus, Lina and a few others
- Prequel: A few side fics delve into Marcus and Lina's backgrounds
- Retro Universe
- Sexy Discretion Shot: Chapter 4, An Intimate Interlude and the NSFW Christmas Special
- Sexfor Solace: Chapter 4, again...
- Shout-Out: Lot's of references to Metal Gear abound in Flower for Balaton, seeing that the theme of revenge fits the story so well... A few songs from the 1980's are also referenced, matching the Doomsday-verse's 80's atheistic.
- We ARE Struggling Together: Marcus's various conflicting previous lives are an example of this.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 6 of Flowers for Balaton
- Yandere: Somewhat lampshaded in the form of Lina