A Night in the Sculpture Garden is a Sherlock fanfic about a rather unusual encounter between Molly Hooper and Irene Adler.
This story provides examples of:
- Alas, Poor Villain: Even though Irene arguably deserves her fate, it's hard not to feel at least a little bit of sympathy for her.
- And I Must Scream: Irene cannot move or speak while in the trance.
- Batman Gambit: Irene's plan hinges on everything going perfectly and Molly agreeing to help her. It doesn't work out for her.
- Body Paint: Irene uses white body paint to disguise herself as a white marble statue.
- Continuity Nod: Irene refers to the events of several episodes:
- Curse Cut Short: Molly almost calls Irene a bitch before Irene interrupts her.
- The Determinator: Irene is so determined to see Sherlock again that she concocts an elaborate plot to get to him through Molly by painting herself white and pretending to be a statue in Molly's favorite sculpture garden. For several days.
- Hoist by Their Own Petard: Irene's plan to blackmail Molly into helping her backfires when Molly refuses and leaves her stuck as a statue.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Irene uses the phrase "naked truth" while she is naked.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Molly finds her encounter with Irene so bizarre that she's not sure whether it was real or she imagined the whole thing.
- Naked First Impression: As with Sherlock, Irene is naked for her first meeting with Molly.
- Nobody Here but Us Statues: Irene pretends to be a statue with the help of some white paint and a trance taught to her by Buddhist monks.
- Not So Different: Irene appeals to Molly by saying they're kindred spirits since they both want Sherlock and he doesn't want either of them.
- You Must Be Cold: Molly assumes that the naked Irene must be cold but the trance has helped her exercise self-control so that she cannot feel the cold air around her.