A Matter of Honor is an Avatar: The Last Airbender fic by Adridere. It originally started as a Zutara shipping fic as seen through the eyes of Toph.note It features the Gaang all grown up with an original and compelling plot.
Aang and Katara are getting married; sorry, committed. The whole Gaang and other secondary characters come to the South Pole to celebrate that and hold a Peace Summit at the same time. To bad no one accounted for Kuei being Not Good with Rejection. He invokes the Contest of the Frosts on Toph, a contest for the maiden's hand in marriage. It is so horrible that it is only called on as a curse for the girl and there has never been a happy outcome. Now the Gaang sets out to prevent a miserable ending for Toph.
Tropes featured include:
- Author Appeal: The Pantheon of the Gods and various other elements are thanks to the author's love of Terry Pratchett.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Kuei, in this fic, does some disturbing things.
- Big Damn Heroes: The Gods during the claiming of the maiden.
- Character Development: Aang really grows into himself by the end.
- Damsel in Distress: Toph is an example of an unwilling one. She is usually a badass. However she cannot act against the Contest because if she doesn't comply, none of the outcomes are favorable.
- Duel to the Death: Traditionally, this is the final task.
- Happy Ending: Surprisingly enough, everything turns out in the end.
- Ship Tease: Toph and Zuko have a very close friendship.
- True Companions:Toph: We are good friends. Only good friendships can survive the assaults to honesty and morality of the last couple of weeks. I mean, finding happiness among all the lies, cheating, and deceit? This must be good happiness.Katara: Hardcore.Toph: Totally Hardcore.