A Chance to Say Goodbye is one of the many 9 FixFics that resurrects the dolls that died during the movie. However, it differs from the normal genre of it by A; having a real reason, a need to bring them back, and B; after they are all brought back, it clearly isn't "the end" just yet.
This fic is an AU, and has even spawned an Extended-Universe RP, "The 9 Renaissance" (the wiki of which can be found here, several sequels and side-stories written by both the original author and various fans, and in the extended-universe/sequels, OCs abound. They also have their own tropes.
Tropes included in this work include:
- Anticlimax Boss: The Fish Beast. 1 warns 9 about it, saying 6 was worried about it, and it attack 9, 5, and 7, but...well, it's dispatched pretty easily, and fairly quickly too. And we don't even see it happening.
- Babies Ever After:
- The ending implies that 5 and 7 will have a baby. In the sequel, 7 has just given birth to a baby girl.
- In the sequel, 1 and 8 have twin sons, and 9 ends up pregnant with 6's child as well.
- Easily Forgiven: 2 says he forgives 1 for sending him out to die, and actually looks forward to seeing him again. When asked how, he simply says that 1 did what he thought he had to, and 2 understands. Though somewhat subverted in that while 2 is ready to forgive, 7 is most certainly not.
- Ill Girl: Arguably, 3 and 4. Near the beginning of the fic, they both became weak, and 4 actually has horrible spasms, so they can't go along on any of the adventures to retrieve the others' bodies. Turns out to be a side-effect of five of their number being dead, and they (along with 9 and 7) would die if their friends weren't brought back to life.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: 5 was/is in love with 7, but is willing to give her up to 9, if that's what she wants. But 7 wants him, not 9.
- No One Should Survive That: 7, by some miracle, manages to escape the clutches of the Fish Beast that drags her underwater while they are retrieving 2's body.
- Settled for Gay: 9 pretty much does this when 7 chooses 5. In the sequel, he settles down quite happily with 6 instead.
- Talking to the Dead: Literally, in 9's case. First he speaks to 5's ghost, once, and then 6's a few more times.
- The Un-Reveal: We never really find out how 7 slayed the Fish Beast.
- We Can Rebuild Him: Since 8's body was completely destroyed in the explosion, the others have to completely rebuild him from scratch.