The Thorny Rose is a Harry Potter Fan Fiction by Brennus that starts with an interesting question: what if Ginny Weasley had all of Tom Riddle's memories up to the moment he created the Horcrux diary, and decided to do something when no one else believed Harry when he was forced to participate in the Triwizard Tournament?
She begins with helping Harry to survive the Tournament, but soon she begins to plan for the future, as her memories of Tom Riddle, and other events, allow her to realize that Voldemort is still alive and ready to come back, so, for Harry to succeed, he has to train unlike anything else he has done before.
This Fan Fiction contains examples of:
- Aura Vision: Ginny has this ability, which helped her see that Harry's soul and hers are perfectly aligned when she was ten. It is a Prewett female trait, as Molly Weasley also has the ability.
- Big Beautiful Woman: Eva, who Harry compares with an East German shot-putter. She teaches Occlumency to Harry and Ginny and eventually involved with Sirius, whom she gets engaged with at a later point.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ron and his new wife Ariya kill Dolohov and Malfoy right on time before the former can kill Harry and Ginny.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Ginny, Harry and Professor McGonagall do this against Dumbledore for his shortcomings and the way he has dealt with everything Harry has gone through. Ginny also tells Snape off for his cruel behaviour towards Harry.
- Contrived Coincidence: Bill Weasley points out the very strange situation that Harry owns Dobby, a house-elf that was previously owned by the Malfoys and that can tell them everything they need to know about Malfoy Manor, just when they need to raid the place in search of a book that contains important information. Harry says Karma owes him a few favours.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Eva, who Harry initially describes as "Professor McGonagall crossed with an East German shot-putter", soon shows she is far more affable than what she looks like and gets together with Sirius.
- Despair Event Horizon: as of Chapter 5 of the second sequel, Eva seems on verge of this, because the explosion that happened after the group's attempt to read into Voldemort's soul fragment to find the Horcruxes has put Sirius in a coma.
- Fate Worse than Death: Ginny considers becoming a housewitch like her mother something similar to this. This is one of the reasons why she decides to help Harry, because she knows that he will let her do what she wants, and because life next to him will be, at least, interesting.
- Food Fight: One takes place at Sirius' wedding after Ginny throws a swan-shaped pastry at Eva's obnoxious sister.
- Foreshadowing: in Chapter 3 of the first sequel, Harry and Ginny have a practice duel, and Harry charges at Ginny. The narration says that wizards and witches are not used to physical combat. In the battle at the Department of Mysteries, Eva loses her wand in a duel with Bellatrix Lestrange and decides to charge at her, which helps her win the fight.
- Just in Time: Sirius nearly falls through the Veil of Death but Eva manages to save him just before it happens.
- Long List: While roasting Sirius at his wedding, Remus pulls out a four-yard-long list of embarrassing stories which he claims is "volume one."
- Ludicrous Gibs: Rita Skeeter is smashed by Sirius while she is in her beetle form, and when she returns to human form some time after she dies, this is the result.
- Mind Rape: Eva is a German witch Sirius hires to help Harry and Ginny with their Occlumency, which can only be trained by doing this with Legilimency. She uses a bit of this with Sirius to emphasize his attraction of her and make him less reluctant to pursue a relationship with her.
- In the second sequel, there's an actual mention to a Mind Rape Curse, which theoretically freezes a soul, making the affected person very easy to attack through Legillimency. When Luna suggests using Legillimency on Voldemort's piece of soul in Harry, Ginny remembers this piece of information.
- My God, What Have I Done?: when Ginny and Harry accidentally kill Theodore Nott by throwing him out of the Astronomy tower, they both suffer nightmares from what they had to do.
- Ginny again, when her actions indirectly destroy all vestiges of the friendship between Ron and Harry and Hermione.
- Eva, when she confesses to Harry and Ginny that she planted into Sirius the notion that he was attracted to her.
- Ron, when he realizes he nearly helped the Malfoys to bring Voldemort back, when he thought they were just going to "prove" Harry was not a Potter. This shames him so much that he drops out of school and decides to Walk the Earth, in an attempt to find himself and what he should do with his life.
- Dumbledore, when he realizes that his plan to kill Voldemort by making Harry sacrifice himself was completely unnecessary. And that Harry could have turned Dark because of all the crap the Dursleys put him through.
- Mythology Gag: after Eva saves Sirius in the battle at the Department of Mysteries Just in Time, she fights Bellatrix and physically throws her through the Veil.
- Normal Fish in a Tiny Pond: One of several reasons Ron elects to return to Ariya's home after rescuing Harry: Even his half-finished Hogwarts education makes him a lot better trained than most magi in that part of the world.
- Oh, Crap!: Ginny when Harry realizes she has Riddle's memories. Luckily for her, Harry doesn't mind.
- In the first sequel, one instance is Played for Laughs, when Harry and Ginny hide under a bed and then Sirius and Eva start to have sex on that bed.
- In the second sequel, when Lucius Malfoy reveals he was after the Prophecy, and Amelia Bones makes Harry take Veritaserum to learn more about this.
- And when the Mind Rape Curse does not fully paralize Voldemort's soul fragment in Harry's scar, and begins to attack Eva when she tries to find about the Horcruxes.
- Shotgun Wedding: Ron gets married this way after he gets caught in a rather compromising position by the girl's father.
- The Bus Came Back: when the Death Eaters attack Hogwarts, and Ginny and Harry get cornered by Dolohov and Draco Malfoy, Ron appears all of a sudden and kills both of them with a Muggle gun.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Sirius suffers this after his time in Azkaban. Eva cheats a little, using Legilimency to make him feel more attracted to her and give him more confidence in himself.
- The Power of Love: Ginny crafts a plan to perform a Soul Bonding Ritual with Harry, which, given everything between them (see Aura Vision) would expel Voldemort's soul piece from Harry's scar.
- Too Much Information:Ginny: Right, what's on the agenda for today? I'm sure you two need a few days to recover before we get into the swing of things.
Sirius: I certainly need a few days. I married a very passionate woman, you know. I barely have the strength to stand after all the bonking I've done.
Harry: Too much information!
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: When Tonks suggests raiding Sirius' liquor cabinet (for the second time) to celebrate good news, Eva drops the key down her ample bosom. Tonks wisely decides they should go out for drinks instead.
- Where's the Fun in That?:Ginny: Don't worry, Hermione. We have a contingency plan for dealing with Dolores Umbridge if she takes things too far.
Hermione: Are you going to tell me what it is?
Harry: Where would be the fun in that?
- Won't Take "Yes" for an Answer:Harry: Eva. We, that is, Ginny and I, have come to a decision.
Ginny: Yes, we're taking the rest of the time until school starts off. No more training or studying, at all.
Harry: We've worked bloody hard for the last few months, and we're really in need of some down-time.
Ginny: It's only fair. We're not machines, you know.
Harry: You can't expect us to work night and day to... err, what?