The Thing Beneath the Sea is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan fiction that crosses over with Cloverfield. The author wrote it in an effort to break a writers block but he admits he was surprised the two franchises never crossed over.
The plot basically consists of the Mane 6 facing down the monster in Dodge Junction but not before it's destroyed Baltimare and pretty much freaked the Princesses out.
The Thing Beneath The Sea contains examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender: The monster is referred to as it or the monster but never referred to as her or he.
- Bug War: The monster's parasites when they fight the Mane 6.
- Doomed Hometown: Subverted. This is what would have happened to Ponyville but the Mane 6 stopped the monster. Dodge Junction on the other hand is obliterated.
- Dwindling Party: Averted. None of the Mane 6 are killed. This seems like the kind of story where it could happen, but it dosen't.
- Gorn: Twilight and Rarity's magic causes the parasites to explode in bloody pieces.
- Kaiju: Duh.
- Nothing Is Scarier: When the parasites invade the town. There is hardly dialogue before one of them attacks Fluttershy.
- Nightmare Fuel: In universe with the monster. Though it's not hard to see why.
- Sequel Hook: Word of God says that it's possible for a sequel to happen.
- Silence Is Golden: There's not a lot of dialogue. Most of the first chapter is spent describing the monster.