The Technicolor Kingdom is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfiction by Miracle Spectrum. The story follows Garion, a depressed, cynical man who is desperately searching for a meaning in life, and Aaron, his tired roommate who is angry and bored with life.
On July 3rd, 2015, Garion, sick of always being stressed, goes to a nearby firework stand to buy a few fireworks for the 4th of July. However almost all of the fireworks are gone, except for a few minor ones and a small, blue, cylindered firework. Acting recklessly, Garion buys the firework for an unnaturally high price.
When his roommate, Aaron finds out about his recklessness, the two get into a argument that soon rises into a full blown physical conflict.
Suddenly in a bright flash,the two find the outside of their door leads to Equestria. Now the two must learn to adapt in this new colorful world, all the while learning more about themselves.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Combat Pragmatist: Aaron, who is fond of sucker punching and throwing things at others
- Crapsack World: The human world, according to the the two main characters
- Dogged Nice Guy: Garion, who only wants to live happily.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Aaron manages to encounter everything from snakes to giant spiders to Timberwolves to the Queen of the freaking Changlings when he wanders through the forest.
- Fish out of Water: To say Aaron has a harder time adjusting to the pony world than Garion would be an understatement.
- Idiot Ball: Garion, who spends everything he and Aaron had on a single firework.
- Arguably Aaron, for leaving the bright and colorful Ponyville for the dark Everfree forest.
- I Just Want to Be Special: The story begins with Garion lamenting about his boring and horrible life and how he wishes to live to his fullest potential.
- Jerkass: Aaron is constantly getting mad at everything, hitting Garion and yelling for no reason.
- Macguffin: The firework Garion bought.
- Shout-Out: So many...
- The description of the character's new bodies sound similar to the art style of Dan VS
- Aaron and Garion each make a reference to Narnia.
- Garion calls Aaron out for acting like Solid Snake.
- When Garion calls them My Little Ponies, Aaron calls him out and references the previous three generations.
- Aaron calls Equestria Strawberry Shortcake Land.
- Aaron would rather be stuck in the Pokémon world.
- According to Pinkie, Aaron's stomach is burning red.
- Aaron sings the English version of Marukaite Chikyuu to himself.
- Wham Line: Given to Aaron by Applejack:Applejack: Those weren't branches you were climbing through...Aaron closed his mouth in confusionApplejack: ...those were the legs of their mother.
- Too Dumb to Live: Aaron enthusiastically charges into the darkness of the woods of an unknown land, only a few chapters after he warned Garion to be careful of the bright and colorful ponies.
- Troll: The story itself references trolling as one of Aaron's defining traits.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Aaron initially believes the ponies are all evil.