The Stars Ascendant is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic by the Titanium Dragon. After Tirek's defeat, Equestria is safe once more, but Luna can sense that her sister is troubled. When Celestia retreats to the same starry realm that Twilight Sparkle was brought to when she ascended to becoming an alicorn, Luna follows in order to discover what is bothering her sister.
The story can be found here.
- All Your Powers Combined: The alicorns did this with Twilight, not realizing that this actually made her more powerful than everyone else in Equestria including Discord combined.
- Another Dimension: The story takes place in the starry realm that alicorns ascend in.
- Big Good: Celestia is used to being the Big Good, and didnt really realize that Twilight had already surpassed her.
- Call-Back: The story takes place in the same starry realm that Twilight went to when she was ascending. The images of the past are used for the practical purpose of observing the fight that took place between Twilight and Tirek.
- Can't Kill You, Still Need You: Tirek only retains the power he steals from people as long as his victims are still alive, preventing him from harming them too seriously.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Luna considers Discord to have this. The only thing that surprised her about his betrayal was how stupid Discord was in trusting Tirek.
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Twilight Sparkle doesn't realize how close she came to defeating Tirek on her own.
- False Friend: Luna is confused how Discord could have been so foolish as to not recognize that Tirek was never really his friend.
- Godzilla Threshold: Celestia noted that had she realized just how powerful Tirek had become, she would have ordered Twilight to rip the Elements of Harmony out of the Tree of Harmony. Given that the tree had been withering without the Elements of Harmony, it might kill the tree, but Celestia felt it would have been justified in order to defeat Tirek. Fortunately, it wasn't necessary.
- The Good King: Celestia is worried that she is failing in her duties as one.
- Heroic BSoD: Celestia has one after she realizes that Twilight could have beaten Tirek on her own, and that Twilight is so determined to please her that she actually apologizes for saving Equestria the wrong way.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Twilight apologizes to Celestia for saving Equestria incorrectly. Celestia feels guilty, both for inspiring Twilights guilt, as well as for underestimating Twilight and preventing her from doing what came natural.
- Humble Hero: Celestia is worried that she has made Twilight too humble and is holding her back from her true potential.
- Mana Drain: How Tirek got his power.
- Omniscient Council of Vagueness: This story is about showing a behind-the-scenes look at the mysterious immortal princesses and their decision-making and private guilt.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Celestia didn't even bother to pretend to smile at Luna, indicating that something was really bothering her.
- Nothing Is the Same Anymore: Celestia failed to realize that Twilights power was beyond even what she had imagined, and questions her original approach towards Twilight.
- The Plan: Twilight apologizes for saving Equestria the wrong way, assuming that Celestia had some sort of plan that she messed up. Celestia feels guilty because she didnt have a plan and was just desperately trying to keep Tirek from stealing their power.
- Power Levels: Celestia leads Luna to realize via the power of induction that Twilight is about as powerful as every non-alicorn pony in Equestria combined.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Celestia, though she doubts her own actions as relates to Twilight.
- Surveillance as the Plot Demands: The ability to scry on the past from the starry realm.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Even without any practice wielding the immense amount of power that had been bestowed upon her, Twilight still managed to fight Tirek to a standstill. Had she had more time to practice, she could have won handily.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Luna notes that this was the inevitable outcome of Tireks alliance with Discord, and questions why Discord didnt see it coming.