- Once upon a time in the magical land of Equestria...That's how these stories usually start, but in a world where heroes of legend fell to corruption that once great nation is no more, and now only lingering divided remnants exist in its stead.Enter Adagio Dazzle, a young and ambitious noble eager to prove herself and what better way to do so then by hosting the annual memorial festival. Unfortunately this year's commemoration is to be held in Ponyville where she must contend with an overzealous political extremist, an insane chef, a belligerent team of forest rangers, and an uncooperative weather patrol.To make matters worst within the nearby untamed wilds of the Everfree Forest a storm is brewing. Not just any storm, but a herald of ancient evils soon to return.For as the old saying goes, when it rains....it pours.
The Rainsverse is an Alternate Universe of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, created by GreyGuardPony. In this particular universe, the bearers of the Elements of Harmony are six ponies who, in the Celestiaverse, were villains (Adagio Dazzle, Aria Blaze, Sonata Dusk, Starlight Glimmer, Lightning Dust, and Suri Polomare). The setting's inaugural work, When It Rains, is finished, and others have begun to write stories set therein.
This Fan Fiction series contains examples of the following tropes:
- Adaptational Heroism: The setting's specific twist: many of the actual show's villains — most notably the Sirens, Starlight, Lightning Dust, and Suri Polomare, as well as Sombra and Chrysalis — are reimagined as Equestria's heroes.
- Adaptational Villainy: Mirroring the Adaptational Heroism of the show's villains, more than a few of its heroes — most notably the Mane Six and Scorpan — are villains in the stories.
- Ancient Rome: Old Equestria was a clear Fantasy Counterpart Culture to the Roman Empire.
- Balkanize Me: After the fall of Roam, Equestria has been split into four major successor states (the Heartlands, the Solar Prelate, the Lunar Kingdom, and the Crystal Empire), and an unknown number of minor ones.
- Eldritch Location: The Everfree Forest, which in this universe was the result of Bitterroot blighting the ground around the old Equestrian capital of Roam. It's noted to be a lot larger than in RainbowDoubleDash's Lunaverse, covering the entirety of the Heartland's western border.
- Expy: The caprataurs are ones of the beastmen from Warhammer.
- Face–Heel Turn: The Mane Six used to be good, but were corrupted, driven insane and transformed by Scorpan.
- Fantastic Racism: The ponies of Ponyville have a certain amount of admittedly justified prejudice against the caprataurs, which occasionally spills over onto Iron Will.
- Genius Bonus: The frequently used curse "Ascarids!" is in fact a reference to a Real Life species of parasitic worm.
- Giant Spider: Adagio and company fight a giant human/spider hybrid while they're searching for the Elements of Harmony.
- Heel–Face Turn: It's heavily implied Chrysalis made one in the distant past. It's currently unclear if Sombra made one as well.
- Hostile Weather: Chroma's presence is marked by thunderstorms and continuous rain.
- Impoverished Patrician: Adagio, largely due to Fancy Pants' woeful mismanagement of her finances.
- Magic Music: Though she's not a siren in this verse, Adagio's magic still has a strong sonic theme.
- The Red Baron: The corrupted Mane Six all have nicknames. Chroma / Rainbow Dash is called the Bringer of Endless Storms. Echinda / Fluttershy is called the Mother of Monsters. Bitterroot / Applejack is called the Reshaper of the Land. Harlequin / Pinkie Pie is called the Dark Jester. Luster / Rarity is called Princess of Avarice. And Midnight / Twilight Sparkle is called Mistress of Dark Witchcraft.