It's also known for using pictures of characters from what seems to be every 80s and 90s anime in existence to get out of describing its characters or creating new ones outright. And sex, of course. There's a lot of that too.
The series spans 11 official stories or "books", as well as numerous short stories. Not to mention several fanfics of its own.
Not to be confused with the short-lived 80s TV series, the DC comics miniseries, and Kelley Armstrong's Women Of The Otherworld book series.
This series contains examples of:
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Anatomically Impossible Sex — After he's all healed up, Vash and Aara have sex for three days straight.
- Animal Gender-Bender — Apparently, male animal (fox, dog, etc.) demons and half-demons can go into heat. This is used at least once to keep a forceful bonding of a male from being rape on Aara's part.
- Attempted Rape — Naraku almost rapes Aara before she and her harem manage to defeat him.
- Babies Ever After — Always happens right after a couple proclaims their love for one another, and every couple tries to conceive after they get together.
- The Beautiful Elite — Aara and her sisters are all very beautiful, usually the most beautiful woman a male character in question has ever seen. The story will not let you forget that.
- Deus Sex Machina — The sisters' bonding powers and Aara's healing abilities.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male — Ayame rapes Kouga in an act of revenge. No one bats an eye.
- Downer Ending — While a majority of the cast does get a happy ever after scenario, others really get the short end of the stick. Kenshin is killed trying to save his son Kenji from Findor, the Blood Demon that kidnapped him, has brainwashed Kenji, and is using Kenji as a sex slave. Karou leaves for the human world after Kenshin dies, refusing to forgive her son even if he does escape Findor's control. Shina, Kenji's original mate, looses her unborn child and her husband shortly before all this occurred. Ironic, given that the author didn't like how "Rurouni Kenshin" originally ended.
- Fix Fic — The series originally started out as a way for the creator to change the ending of the Rurouni Kenshin OVA, which she didn't like.
- Everyone Is Bi — A lot of the half-demon males that Aara and her sisters bond with all seem to have bi-sexual tendencies...
- Fiery Redhead — Aara
- Gratuitous Princess — There's no reason for the border-protecting princesses to be called princesses (or in one case, prince) and Aara is more of a queen since she is Otherworld's sole ruler.
- Half-Human Hybrid — There's a lot of half-demons running around the 5 realms, possibly due to the heavy Inuyasha influences in the series. Demons also have a tendency to kidnap women from the Human World and rape them.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness — Aara
- Info Dump — The first few parts of the series are pretty much summaries of the various shows that are involved.
- Intimate Healing — Aara uses this to heal her males. (Interestingly, she has multiple healers in her employ. But they always seem to be useless whenever a hot half-demon character is involved.)
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Mega Crossover
- Mindlink Mates — The sisters and their males have this ability. When Aara is pregnant with Ashara and Vara, her harem develops a connection with the unborn babies, determining which daughter they will end up with.
- Out of Character — Too many to list here. The creator even has a disclaimer on the front page pointing this out:While some of the characters used within these stories were inspired by their original anime, and their use qualifies this site as "fan fiction", most of the characters created here are original inspirations which do not match the anime characters at all; the anime character pictures were used and on rarer occasions, their name, to represent original characters...
- Patchwork Kids
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up — Demons and half-demons grow more quickly than their human counterparts. According to Kouga...Demons and even Hanyou's, half-demons, will crawl at two months, walk at six months and run at nine months. They remember everything you say to them from birth. They will have fangs and might have claws. At nine months they will be the size of a human two-year old."
- During an arc in which several newborn/toddler aged children were kidnapped by the bad guy, the bad guy in question hides the children by aging them up so the children are unrecognizable. The actual mental age of the children also allows him to easily convince the children that he is their father.
- Reincarnation Romance — Hiten dies, his girlfriend cries, someone else gives birth to his reincarnation... and they resume right where they left off.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something — Somewhat Averted with Aara who usually waits until the very last minuet to get her butt into gear and do something about the current villain. Which is more then what her sisters do, normally letting her handle the problem. Subverted in that her daughter Vara helps run the kingdom of Suzuka, grandson Jin-Kensei who does help when he's needed and great-granddaughter Jin-Kana who took the place of Aara's oldest sister.
- Sexy Man, Instant Harem — All of the princesses have one. Go here for a list of each one.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad — Aara. Amongst other things (and the fact that she is the main character of the series), she is the reason why Kagome is searching for the shikon jewel shards, and she is the person who told Yusuke that Raizen is his father.
- Theme Naming — Aara and her sisters Arina, Athara, Arista, and Aratha. Children's names are also always created by creating a mash-up of their parents' names, as per Otherworld tradition.
- Cleaning Up Romantic Loose Ends — If a male character had a character in their canon that they are normally shipped with, that character will be immediately paired up with another character and, if they're female, start spitting out a couple of babies.
- Karma Houdini — In Otherworld 11, Findor the Blood Demon gets away with a lot of really horrible things like: kidnapping, rape, attempted murder, and genocide.