The first series of stories, Next Generation follows young Yumeko Asagiri, daughter of Priss, as she discovers that her mother's friends were once the legendary Knight Sabers. Genom meanwhile, is beginning to pick up where they left over some years before.
The second series, Farewell to Arms follows Yumeko as she lives in hiding in the United States, recovering from the events of Next Generation, while dealing with living in a new country and trying to stay off of Genom's radar.
After this, is Three Knights, an Intercontinuity Crossover between Next Generation, The Bubblegum Zone and Bubblegum Avatar as three fifth-sabers must join together to thwart the plans of Largo and some great evil. Technically a Lost Episode, as you have to email the author at the website in order to view it.
Fourth, is Half Moon. The OMS is stolen by unknown perpetrators, while Yumeko finds an abandoned girl on the streets of Megatokyo, who appears to be suffering from amnesia.
A finale is the short story, A Deviant's Days, set several months after Half Moon as Yumeko reflects on what has happened.
There are two other side stories, One Degree of Separation, following three of Yumeko's friends through a day in their lives, while Innocent Guilt servers as a prequel of sorts to the whole series.
This page is still a work in progress.
The Next Generation Contains Examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Xania's biological parents were methheads who used her for quality control. Also the reason she keeps her hair short.
- Action Girl: The Knight Sabers as a whole.
- Ambiguously Brown: Yumeko.
- Anyone Can Die: And how.
- Artificial Limbs: Xania has a cybernetic tail. Why? Because it looks cool. Although because it's Xania, one can probably guess what else she uses it for... Also, Sara was fitted with cybernetic legs after her car accident.
- Biker Babe: Yumeko, sort of. Priss definitely.
- Break the Badass: Subverted.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Yumeko pees on Nezumi when he attempts to rape her. Even she's not sure how much of it was intentional and how much of it was her being scared out of her mind. Possibly a bit of both.
- Child by Rape: Yumeko was the product of rape.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Not a single instance of the F-word until Xania appears. Then it's all over the place. After hanging out with her for a while (or just because of her overall stress level, which would be understandable) Yumeko starts letting off some Precision F Strikes of her own.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: In Half Moon, Yumeko is subjected to torture playing on her hydrophobia.
- Determinator: Yumeko recovers, and goes on to compete in the Olympic Games.
- Disappeared Dad: Not only has Yumeko never met her father, she doesn't know who he is. Though that's for good reason.
- Does Not Like Men: Yumeko. Oh, where to start? First there's the fact her dad is a rapist. Plus the fact that she's been a Lust Object "since [she] grew tits," and of course inheriting Priss' attitude and good looks doesn't help there. Plus the fact that Masahiro, who she grudgingly admits she had a crush on before the stories began, slept with Michiko and promptly dumped her afterwards. On top of that, she's been almost raped several times over the course of the stories. There are only a handful of guys she learns to trust even a little: Greg, Bert (both of them), and Craig.
- Door Stopper: It's not small, consisting of three main stories, and a number of smaller side-stories.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Yumeko goes through hell, but the series still has an overall positive tone.
- Ethical Slut: Xania.
- Expanded Universe: Yumeko joins Bert Van Vliet of The Bubblegum Zone and Craig A. Reed of Bubblegum Avatar in the intercontinuity crossover fic Three Knights. Yumeko also meets Meg of Yours Truly 2032 in a separate side story.
- Expository Hairstyle Change Yumeko's always kept her hair at shoulder-length, but after Three Knights decides to grow it out. By Half Moon it's down to the middle of her back. Also, Nene has a bob in the stories as opposed to the long hair she had in the OVA.
- Fanverse: Others have tried to write fics set in the Next Gen universe.
- Friendly Target: Michiko, after overhearing Boh's call to Madigan. Then left in a dumpster.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Boh. Emi. ESPECIALLY Emi.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today? Xania isn't shy at all about disclosing how much she likes the horizontal mambo, and also isn't shy about ribbing Yumeko about her virgin status. However, later she admits that she doesn't want Yumeko to rush into having sex just to say she's had it, that it should be a special moment no matter how old she'll be when she loses her virginity.
- HeelFace Turn: Emi
- I Can Still Fight!: Yumeko takes this to the extreme in the battle against the Boomers at the summit, still insisting on fighting even after getting cut open ("It's...just a flesh wound"), and still manages to mouth off even AFTER getting shot through the leg. She does it AGAIN when she does her solo trip to Genom Tower, in spite of being nowhere near healed from the stab wounds Boh inflicted on her.
- Instant Birth: Just Add Water!: Water breakage, what water breakage? The only indication that Priss was in labor was a backache, and she didn't even know that until Yumeko abruptly decided to make her world debut in the bathroom.
- Killer Robot: Most Genom-released Boomers, Boh, Emi and especially the UN conference.
- Lust Object: Yumeko. Masahiro sees her as the ultimate conquest, in large part due to her still being a virgin.
- Making a Spectacle of Yourself: Xania is almost ALWAYS seen wearing John Lennon-style shades with pink-tinted lenses.
- Mama Bear: Mess with Yumeko, and feel Priss's wrath.
- Meaningful Name: Priss gave Yumeko her name (which literally translates to "child of dreams") due to having constant dreams about her before she was born. Also alluding to the fact that she really should never have come to be (Priss means this only in the kindest way), but certain circumstances made it happen anyway.
- Messy Hair: Xania. Such a trademark that the first time Yumeko saw her with it in a more normal style (and wearing no shades), she didn't recognize her.
- Multicolored Hair: Michiko's hair is predominantly black with several small blond streaks, and in elementary school was often referred to as the "skunk-haired girl."
- Not Quite Dead: Yumeko nearly dies due to injuries received at the UN conference... but not quite.
- Original Flavour: One of the best examples in BGC fandom.
- First Person fic
- Put on a Bus: An interesting example, in that it's the protagonist who's put on a bus for her own protection, and the story follows her.
- Quest for Identity: Pretty much the driving force behind the beginning of Half Moon regarding Emi. Which REALLY screws Yumeko every way around.
- Rape as Backstory: Priss was raped shortly after coming home from her first tour, which is how she got pregnant with Yumeko.
- Robot Girl: Emi
- Scars Are Forever: Yumeko's body tells the story of her first year as a Knight Saber all too well.
- Songfic: Priss' music features heavily at appropriate moments. Some original lyrics are also included.
- Technicolor Eyes: Priss and Yumeko both have red eyes, while Emi's are yellow.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Yumeko wakes up in the hospital with absolutely no memory of the summit attack. Certain moments come back to her over time, but she never does regain memory of the full event.
- What Measure is a Non Human: Emi
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Yumeko has a bit of a fear of water, which is exploited several times, most notably in Half Moon.