The New Math is a Self-Insert fanfic from Sufficient Velocity forums where the author is kidnapped and thrust into the universe of Lyrical Nanoha by a pesky being from beyond our reality known as Cassius N. Greene - he prefers being known as Greene, apparently. The author, referred to by his handle of Bluemage, finds himself in the forests of an unnamed world in the Nanoha Multiverse. He wanders for a bit before stumbling upon a battle between a mage and some robot creatures.
After the battle ends, he meets the mage victor - who turns out to be a member of the TSAB, the magical "police force" of sorts for the Nanoha multiverse. This officer takes Bluemage with him and helps him get settled somewhat in a magical city elsewhere. Bluemage finds out he can't learn magic along the way, and goes in search of a mad scientist from his knowledge of the universe in the hopes the doctor can help him.
"The New Math contains examples of:"
- Amplifier Artifact: The Devices of the Nanoha-verse work like this, enhancing the manipulation of magic from the mage themselves. You can cast magic without a Device, it just takes a lot longer and tends to be weaker/less complex.
- Artificial Human:
- The Numbers probably count as this.
- The SI fits this after Docter Scaglietti gives him a new, magic-capable form
- As Lethal as It Needs to Be: With the right Device setting, spells can't kill people, and functional Barrier Jackets prevent most kinds of indirect damage.
- Formulaic Magic: The magic of the Nanoha-verse works like this
- Instant Runes: Nanoha-verse style magic makes these when executing a spell - although the spell has to have working math to manifest
- Self-Insert: The author of the story has been inserted into the world of Nanoha by a ROB (Random Omnipotent Being)
- The Omnipotent: This is what the being who kidnapped the SI is. He narrates the story to readers via forum postings.